-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 4
Zoom on the DuroMax XP8500E
In summary, the DuroMax XP8500E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the following paragraphs, we shall explore the power characteristics, available outlets, portability, and any additional features of the device, along with its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP8500E's design includes a gasoline-fueled 420 cc (16 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 7,000W and also a peak wattage of 8,500W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner).
With a fuel capacity of 7.9 gallons, the XP8500E may run for up to 25 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.32 GPH).
The quite high THD (<12%) of the XP8500E makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Because the XP8500E is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
With its dimensions of L30 x W30 x H26 in, the conventional, open frame design of the DuroMax XP8500E offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 200 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The XP8500E's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP8500E, the following accessories are also included: battery charging cables, funnel and tool kit. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP8500E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP8500E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP8500E compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 200 lbs, the DuroMax XP8500E belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 6500 and 7500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 72 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Powerhorse 7500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 55 dBA.
- With a run time of up to 25 hours at 25% load, the XP8500E has one of the highest run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.32 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.29 GPH, the DuroMax XP7500DX is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the DuroMax XP8500E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (200 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7,000 W|
|Starting watts||8,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||25 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||7.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP8500E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||5595 W||7095 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5595 W||6185 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3980 W||8480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.