Zoom on the DuroMax XP8500E
In summary, the DuroMax XP8500E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners and participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP8500E's build contains a gasoline-fueled 420 cc (16 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 7000W and also a peak wattage of 8500W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), this generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 7.9 gallons, the XP8500E can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.79 GPH).
The XP8500E is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.Because the XP8500E is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
With its dimensions of L28 x W22 x H23 in, the conventional, open frame design of the DuroMax XP8500E offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 249 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The XP8500E's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and a user manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP8500E, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, funnel and battery charging cables.
The DuroMax XP8500E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP8500E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP8500E compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- With its weight of 249 lbs, the DuroMax XP8500E is one of the heavier generators in the 6500-7500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Lifan LF7250, with a dry weight of only 140 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 74 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 59 dBA.
- The XP8500E, offering a run time of 10 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar PG7500B, boasting with 13 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.79 GPH. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.38 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the DuroMax XP8500E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (249 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the DuroMax XP8500E?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W|
|Starting watts||8500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||7.9 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||28 x 22 x 23 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, funnel and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. While Duromax is still a new face to the power generator market, their products have grown in popularity and can be found in the catalogues of most US retailers.
The DuroMax XP8500E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.