Zoom on the DuroMax XP8500E
In summary, the DuroMax XP8500E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners and participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP8500E's engine, 420 cc (16 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 7000W and reaches a peak wattage of 8500W.
With a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 7.9 gallons, the XP8500E may run for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.79 GPH).
Since the XP8500E has a somewhat high THD (<12%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP8500E is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The design of the DuroMax XP8500E is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L28 x W22 x H23 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 249 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The XP8500E and its control panel include a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
With the basic documentation and a user manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the DuroMax XP8500E also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit, funnel and battery charging cables.
The DuroMax XP8500E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP8500E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP8500E compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 249 pounds, the DuroMax XP8500E is one of the heavier generators producing between 6500 and 7500 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Lifan LF7250, with a dry weight of just 140 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 74 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 59 dBA.
- Offering around 10 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the XP8500E is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Generac XC6500, reaching around 14 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.79 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, with a fuel consumption of 0.38 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the DuroMax XP8500E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (249 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W|
|Starting watts||8500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||7.9 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||28 x 22 x 23 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, funnel and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroMax XP8500E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.