Zoom on the DuroMax XP8500E
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP8500E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP8500E's core is the 420 cc (16 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 7000W and a peak wattage of 8500W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher).
The XP8500E can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.79 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 7.9 gallons.
Since the XP8500E has a somewhat high THD (<12%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP8500E is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The DuroMax XP8500E has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L30 x W30 x H26 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 200 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The control panel of the XP8500E includes a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the DuroMax XP8500E's package also includes these accessories: tool kit, battery charging cables and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP8500E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP8500E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP8500E compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- With a dry weight of 200 pounds, the DuroMax XP8500E finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 6500 and 7500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF with only 133 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 74 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Powerhorse 7500i. With just 55 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The XP8500E, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 10 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Generac XC6500, which is able to run for around 14 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.79 GPH. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the DuroMax XP8500E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (200 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No remote start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W|
|Starting watts||8500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||7.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP8500E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||5595 W||6695 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5595 W||6185 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3980 W||8480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.