Zoom on the DuroMax XP8500E
In summary, the DuroMax XP8500E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP8500E's core is the 420 cc (16 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 7,000W and a peak wattage of 8,500W.
With a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The fuel capacity of 7.9 gallons allows the XP8500E to operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.79 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the XP8500E is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP8500E is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The dimensions of the DuroMax XP8500E, which are L30 x W30 x H26 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 200 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The XP8500E's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the DuroMax XP8500E's package also includes these accessories: tool kit, battery charging cables and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP8500E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP8500E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP8500E compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 200 lbs, the DuroMax XP8500E belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 6500 and 7500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of only 133 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 74 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Powerhorse 7500i with only 55 dBA.
- The XP8500E, offering a run time of around 10 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 9000, which is able to run for around 13 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.79 GPH. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.45 GPH, the Energizer eZV7500 is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the DuroMax XP8500E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (200 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7,000 W|
|Starting watts||8,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||7.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP8500E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5587 W||7062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5580 W||6000 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3980 W||8480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.