Zoom on the DuroMax XP8500E
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP8500E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP8500E's core is the 420 cc (16 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 7000W and a peak wattage of 8500W.
With a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 7.9 gallons, the XP8500E can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.79 GPH).
The XP8500E is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Because the XP8500E is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The dimensions of the DuroMax XP8500E, which are L30 x W30 x H26 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 200 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The XP8500E's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the DuroMax XP8500E also is packed along with the following accessories: battery charging cables, tool kit and funnel.
The DuroMax XP8500E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP8500E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP8500E compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- At a weight of 200 pounds, the DuroMax XP8500E places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 6500-7500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, weighing just 133 pounds.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 74 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Powerhorse 7500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 55 dBA.
- Given that the XP8500E reaches an autonomy of around 10 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Generac XC6500, with around 14 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.79 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the DuroMax XP8500E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (200 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No remote start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W|
|Starting watts||8500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||7.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP8500E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5587 W||7062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5580 W||6000 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3980 W||8480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.