Zoom on the DuroMax XP8500E
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP8500E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP8500E houses a 420 cc (16 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 7000W along with a peak wattage of 8500W.
With a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The XP8500E can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.79 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 7.9 gallons.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the XP8500E is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Because the XP8500E is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The DuroMax XP8500E has the following dimensions: L30 x W30 x H26 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 200 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The XP8500E's control center features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP8500E, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, funnel and battery charging cables. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP8500E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP8500E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP8500E compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 200 lbs, the DuroMax XP8500E belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 6500 to 7500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, weighing just 133 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 74 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Powerhorse 7500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 55 dBA.
- The XP8500E, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 10 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Generac XC6500, as it provides around 14 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.79 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the DuroMax XP8500E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (200 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No remote start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W|
|Starting watts||8500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||7.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP8500E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||5595 W||6695 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5595 W||6185 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3980 W||8480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.