Zoom on the DuroMax XP8500E
In summary, the DuroMax XP8500E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP8500E is powered by a 420 cc (16 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 7,000W as well as a peak wattage of 8,500W.
With a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the XP8500E can operate for up to 25 hours (fuel consumption around 0.32 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 7.9 gallons.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the XP8500E is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
As the XP8500E holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The DuroMax XP8500E has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L30 x W30 x H26 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 200 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The XP8500E's control center features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the DuroMax XP8500E also comes with several accessories, including: battery charging cables, funnel and tool kit. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP8500E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP8500E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP8500E compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- With a dry weight of 200 pounds, the DuroMax XP8500E finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 6500 and 7500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF with only 133 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 72 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Powerhorse 7500i with only 55 dBA.
- With a run time of up to 25 hours at 25% load, the XP8500E has one of the highest run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.32 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the DuroMax XP7500DX. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.29 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the DuroMax XP8500E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (200 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|420 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x 12V 8A output
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|30 x 30 x 26 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP8500E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Air compressor (1 hp)
|Electric fence (25 miles)
Is this a quiet generator or is it loud? (Asked July 23, 2023)
The unit sound level is rated at 72dB at low load, and at 23 feet. It is not quiet by any means, but what is to be expected for a conventional open frame generator of this power. If noise is an important factor to you, you may want to consider an inverter generator.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.