Zoom on the DuroMax XP8500E
In summary, the DuroMax XP8500E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP8500E's design includes a gasoline-fueled 420 cc (16 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 7000W and also a peak wattage of 8500W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), this generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 7.9 gallons, the XP8500E may run for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.79 GPH).
As the XP8500E has a relatively high THD (<12%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP8500E is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The dimensions of the DuroMax XP8500E, which are L30 x W30 x H26 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 200 lbs. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The XP8500E's control center features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the DuroMax XP8500E also comes with several accessories, including: battery charging cables, funnel and tool kit. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP8500E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP8500E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP8500E compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 200 lbs, the DuroMax XP8500E belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 6500 and 7500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF with only 133 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 74 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Powerhorse 7500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 55 dBA.
- The XP8500E, offering a run time of around 10 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Generac XC6500, with around 14 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.79 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.38 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the DuroMax XP8500E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (200 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No remote start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W|
|Starting watts||8500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||7.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP8500E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5587 W||7062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5580 W||6000 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3980 W||8480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.