Zoom on the DuroMax XP8500E
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP8500E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP8500E's design includes a gasoline-fueled 420 cc (16 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 7000W and also a peak wattage of 8500W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The XP8500E can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.79 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 7.9 gallons.
The quite high THD (<12%) of the XP8500E makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Because the XP8500E is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
With its dimensions of L30 x W30 x H26 in, the conventional, open frame design of the DuroMax XP8500E offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 200 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the XP8500E includes a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP8500E, the following accessories are also included: battery charging cables, funnel and tool kit.
The DuroMax XP8500E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP8500E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP8500E compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 200 lbs, the DuroMax XP8500E belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 6500 and 7500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, weighing just 133 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 74 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Powerhorse 7500i. With just 55 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Offering around 10 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the XP8500E is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Generac XC6500, which is able to run for around 14 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.79 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the DuroMax XP8500E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (200 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No remote start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W|
|Starting watts||8500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||7.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP8500E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||5595 W||7095 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5595 W||6185 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3980 W||8480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.