Zoom on the DuroMax XP8500E
In summary, the DuroMax XP8500E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP8500E is powered by a 420 cc (16 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 7000W as well as a peak wattage of 8500W.
With a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The fuel capacity of 7.9 gallons allows the XP8500E to operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.79 GPH).
The XP8500E is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Because the XP8500E is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The design of the DuroMax XP8500E is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L30 x W30 x H26 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 200 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The XP8500E and its control panel include a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the DuroMax XP8500E also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, battery charging cables and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP8500E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP8500E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP8500E compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- As its weight is 200 pounds, the DuroMax XP8500E falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 6500-7500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 74 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Powerhorse 7500i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 55 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 10 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the XP8500E falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Generac XC6500, with around 14 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.79 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.38 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the DuroMax XP8500E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (200 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W|
|Starting watts||8500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||7.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP8500E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5587 W||7062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5580 W||6000 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3980 W||8480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.