Zoom on the DuroMax XP7500DX
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP7500DX is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroMax XP7500DX allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 6500W and a starting wattage of 7500W. If propane-powered, it gives 6175 rated watts and 7125 starting watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 70 dBA (just as noisy as a vacuum cleaner). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The running time of the XP7500DX, with its 5.3 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 10 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.53 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 5.3 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.89 GPH).
As the XP7500DX has a relatively high THD (<12%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Because the XP7500DX is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
With its dimensions of L27 x W21 x H20 in, the conventional, open frame design of the DuroMax XP7500DX offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 148 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The XP7500DX's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
The XP7500DX also benefits from DuroMax’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the DuroMax XP7500DX also comes with some accessories: propane hose, tool kit and oil are included.
The DuroMax XP7500DX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP7500DX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP7500DX compare to generators of similar power (between 6000 and 7000 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the DuroMax XP7500DX stands at only 148 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 6000-7000 rated wattage category If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF with only 133 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 70 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Powerhorse 7500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 55 dBA.
- The XP7500DX's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 10 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Generac XC6500, which is able to run for around 14 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.53 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the A-iPower SUA7000L. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.36 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6000-7000W generators, the DuroMax XP7500DX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (148 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (70 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||274 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||6500 W||6175 W|
|Starting watts||7500 W||7125 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps||51.5/25.7 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||59.4/29.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5.3 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Fuel tank||5.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27 x 21 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||70 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP7500DX is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5192 W||6692 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5195 W||5785 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||4790 W||7490 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.