Zoom on the DuroMax XP7500DX
In summary, the DuroMax XP7500DX is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroMax XP7500DX allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 6,500W and a starting wattage of 7,500W. If propane-powered, it gives 6,175 rated watts and 7,125 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 70 dBA (just as noisy as a dishwasher), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The running time of the XP7500DX, with its 5.3 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 10 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.53 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 5.3 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.89 GPH).
As the XP7500DX has a relatively high THD (<12%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Because the XP7500DX is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The DuroMax XP7500DX has the following dimensions: L27 x W21 x H20 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 148 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The control panel of the XP7500DX includes a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The XP7500DX also benefits from DuroMax’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the DuroMax XP7500DX also comes with some accessories: tool kit, oil and propane hose are included.
The DuroMax XP7500DX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP7500DX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP7500DX compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 6000 and 7000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the DuroMax XP7500DX only weighs in at 148 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter dual fuel generators in the 6000-7000 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 70 dBA, this generator is one of the quieter devices of similar type and power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Genmax GM7250iEDC, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 63 dBA.
- The XP7500DX provides a higher run time than similarly powerful dual fuel devices, reaching around 10 hours at 50% load. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Powermate PM7500DF, boasting with around 11 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.53 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Genmax GM7250iEDC. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.45 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6000-7000W dual fuel generators, the DuroMax XP7500DX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (148 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (70 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||274 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||6,500 W||6,175 W|
|Starting watts||7,500 W||7,125 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps||51.5/25.7 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||59.4/29.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5.3 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Fuel tank||5.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27 x 21 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||70 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP7500DX is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5172 W||6647 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5180 W||5600 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4790 W||7490 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.