Zoom on the DuroMax XP7500DX
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP7500DX is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroMax XP7500DX allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 6,500W and a starting wattage of 7,500W. If propane-powered, it gives 6,175 rated watts and 7,125 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 70 dBA (just as noisy as a dishwasher), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The XP7500DX, with a fuel capacity of 5.3 gallons, reaches a run time of up to 18 hours utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.53 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of up to 10 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.47 GPH) with propane.
As the XP7500DX has a relatively high THD (<12%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
As the XP7500DX holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L27 x W21 x H20 in, the conventional, open frame design of the DuroMax XP7500DX offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 148 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The XP7500DX's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
The XP7500DX also benefits from DuroMax’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the DuroMax XP7500DX also comes with several accessories, including: oil, tool kit and propane hose.
The DuroMax XP7500DX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP7500DX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP7500DX compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 6000 and 7000 W).
- Weight-wise, the DuroMax XP7500DX has only 148 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter dual fuel generators which produce 6000 to 7000 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Pulsar PGDA70BiSCO, standing at just 118 lbs.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 70 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar type and power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Champion 201175, whose lowest noise levels reach just 61 dBA.
- The XP7500DX, falls within the average autonomy range compared to dual fuel generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 10 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the DuroMax XP8500EH, as it provides around 12 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.53 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Pulsar PGDA70BiSCO, with a fuel consumption of 0.42 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6000-7000W dual fuel generators, the DuroMax XP7500DX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (148 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (70 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||274 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||6,500 W||6,175 W|
|Starting watts||7,500 W||7,125 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps||51.5/25.7 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||59.4/29.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5.3 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h||10 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Fuel tank||5.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27 x 21 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||70 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP7500DX is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5192 W||6692 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5195 W||5785 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4790 W||7490 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.