Zoom on the DuroMax XP5500HX
In summary, the DuroMax XP5500HX is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the DuroMax XP5500HX delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 4500W and a peak wattage of 5500W. When propane-powered, it has 4275 rated watts and 5225 peak watts.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation).
The XP5500HX, with a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, reaches a run time of around 8.9 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.45 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 7.6 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.62 GPH) with propane.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the XP5500HX is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP5500HX is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The design of the DuroMax XP5500HX is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L23 x W25 x H22 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 128 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The XP5500HX's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
The XP5500HX also benefits from Duromax’ CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the DuroMax XP5500HX also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, propane hose and funnel.
The DuroMax XP5500HX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP5500HX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP5500HX compare to generators of similar power (between 4000 and 5000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the DuroMax XP5500HX only weighs in at 128 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 4000-5000 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Pulsar PG5250, weighing just 99.5 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 69 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Yamaha EF4500iSE with only 58 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 8.9 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the XP5500HX falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Dewalt DXGN4500, with around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.45 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Pulsar PG5250B, with a fuel consumption of 0.33 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4000-5000W generators, the DuroMax XP5500HX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (128 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||210 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||4500 W||4275 W|
|Starting watts||5500 W||5225 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps||35.6/17.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps||43.5/21.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.9 h||7.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23 x 25 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP5500HX is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3587 W||5062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||3595 W||4015 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2780 W||5480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.