Zoom on the DuroMax XP5500HX
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP5500HX is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroMax XP5500HX allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 4500W and a starting wattage of 5500W. If propane-powered, it gives 4275 rated watts and 5225 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The XP5500HX, with a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, reaches a run time of around 8.9 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.45 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 7.6 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.62 GPH) with propane.
The quite high THD (<12%) of the XP5500HX makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Because the XP5500HX is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The DuroMax XP5500HX has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23 x W25 x H22 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 128 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The XP5500HX's control center features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
The XP5500HX also benefits from Duromax’ CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the DuroMax XP5500HX also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, propane hose and tool kit.
The DuroMax XP5500HX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP5500HX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP5500HX compare to generators of similar power (between 4000 and 5000 W).
- Weight-wise, the DuroMax XP5500HX has only 128 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 4000 to 5000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar PG5250, with a dry weight of only 99.5 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 69 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the A-iPower AP5000, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 58 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the XP5500HX, with an autonomy of around 8.9 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Dewalt DXGN4500, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.45 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PG5250B, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.33 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4000-5000W generators, the DuroMax XP5500HX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (128 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||210 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||4500 W||4275 W|
|Starting watts||5500 W||5225 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps||35.6/17.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps||43.5/21.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.9 h||7.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23 x 25 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP5500HX is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3592 W||4592 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3590 W||4180 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2780 W||5480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.