Gas + CO sensor
Dual fuel + CO sensor
Dual fuel + CO sensor + USB ports
Zoom on the DuroMax XP5500HX
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP5500HX is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile DuroMax XP5500HX provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 4,500W along with a peak wattage of 5,500W. While propane-powered, it provides 4,275 rated watts and 5,225 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The XP5500HX, with a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, reaches a run time of up to 19 hours utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.44 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of up to 15 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.31 GPH) with propane.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the XP5500HX is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Since the XP5500HX bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The DuroMax XP5500HX has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23 x W25 x H22 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 128 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the XP5500HX includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
The XP5500HX also benefits from DuroMax’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the DuroMax XP5500HX also comes with several accessories, including: propane hose, tool kit and funnel.
The DuroMax XP5500HX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP5500HX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP5500HX compare to generators of similar power (between 4000 and 5000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 128 lbs, the DuroMax XP5500HX belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 4000 to 5000 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN 56477i, standing at just 72.7 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 69 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Yamaha EF4500iSE, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 58 dBA.
- The XP5500HX provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching up to 19 hours at 25% load. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the DuroStar DS5000X, which is able to run for up to 22 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.21 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the DuroStar DS5000X. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.18 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4000-5000W dual fuel generators, the DuroMax XP5500HX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (128 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||210 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||4,500 W||4,275 W|
|Starting watts||5,500 W||5,225 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps||35.6/17.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps||43.5/21.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||19 h||15 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23 x 25 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP5500HX is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3567 W||5042 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||3595 W||4015 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2780 W||5480 W|
Does this come with an instruction manual for setup and maintenance? (Asked March 14, 2023)
The unit comes with an instruction manual in which you'll find explanations on anything related to setup, use, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.