Zoom on the DuroMax XP5500E
In summary, the DuroMax XP5500E is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP5500E's build contains a gasoline-fueled 225 cc (7.5 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 4500W and also a peak wattage of 5500W.
At a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the XP5500E may run for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.44 GPH).
As the XP5500E has a relatively high THD (<12%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.Because the XP5500E is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The DuroMax XP5500E has the following dimensions: L24 x W17 x H17 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 127 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The XP5500E's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and a user manual to get you promptly started, the DuroMax XP5500E also comes with some accessories: tool kit, funnel and battery charging cables are included.
The DuroMax XP5500E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP5500E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP5500E compare to generators of similar power (between 4000 and 5000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the DuroMax XP5500E weighs just 127 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 4000 to 5000 rated wattage generators. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PG5250 with only 99.5 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 69 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Yamaha EF4500iSE with only 58 dBA.
- The XP5500E’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Dewalt DXGN4500, with around 15 hours .
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.44 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Pulsar PG5250B, with a fuel consumption of 0.33 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 4000-5000W generators, the DuroMax XP5500E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (127 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||225 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||4500 W|
|Starting watts||5500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 17 x 17 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, funnel and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroMax XP5500E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.