Gas + CO sensor
Dual fuel + CO sensor
Dual fuel + CO sensor + USB ports
Zoom on the DuroMax XP5500E
In summary, the DuroMax XP5500E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP5500E is powered by a 225 cc (7.5 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 4,500W as well as a peak wattage of 5,500W.
At a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the XP5500E can operate for up to 19 hours (fuel consumption around 0.21 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The XP5500E is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP5500E is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The design of the DuroMax XP5500E is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L25 x W24 x H21 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 122 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The XP5500E's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the DuroMax XP5500E also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, tool kit and battery charging cables.
The DuroMax XP5500E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP5500E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP5500E compare to generators of similar power (between 4000 and 5000 W).
- At a weight of 122 pounds, the DuroMax XP5500E places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 4000-5000 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN 56477i, standing at just 72.7 lbs.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 69 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Yamaha EF4500iSE, whose lowest noise levels reach just 58 dBA.
- Since the XP5500E boasts with a run time of up to 19 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the DuroStar DS5000X, with up to 22 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.21 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the DuroStar DS5000X, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.18 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4000-5000W generators, the DuroMax XP5500E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (122 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||225 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||4,500 W|
|Starting watts||5,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||19 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 24 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP5500E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3592 W||5092 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3590 W||4180 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2780 W||5480 W|
What type of oil does it use? (Asked March 19, 2020)
The recommended engine oil is SAE 10W-30, which works between 0 and 80°F. Below this range, you should use SAE 5W-30. Above, SAE 30.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.