Zoom on the DuroMax XP5500E
In summary, the DuroMax XP5500E is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP5500E's build contains a gasoline-fueled 225 cc (7.5 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 4500W and also a peak wattage of 5500W.
With a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the XP5500E can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.44 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
As the XP5500E has a relatively high THD (<12%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP5500E is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The DuroMax XP5500E has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L24 x W17 x H17 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Since the generator weighs 127 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Never less, thanks to a wheel kit and a folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The XP5500E's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Along the basic documentation and a user manual, useful for starting the generator right away, the DuroMax XP5500E's package also includes these accessories: battery charging cables, funnel and tool kit.
The DuroMax XP5500E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP5500E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP5500E compare to generators of similar power (between 4000 and 5000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the DuroMax XP5500E only weighs in at 127 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 4000-5000 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Pulsar PG5250, standing at just 99.5 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 69 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Yamaha EF4500iSE, whose lowest noise levels reach just 58 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with 9 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the XP5500E is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Dewalt DXGN4500, as it provides 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.44 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.33 GPH, the Pulsar PG5250B is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 4000-5000W generators, the DuroMax XP5500E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (127 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Where to buy the DuroMax XP5500E?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||225 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||4500 W|
|Starting watts||5500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 17 x 17 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, funnel and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. While Duromax is still a new face to the power generator market, their products have grown in popularity and can be found in the catalogues of most US retailers.
The DuroMax XP5500E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.