Zoom on the DuroMax XP5500DX
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP5500DX is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the DuroMax XP5500DX delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 4500W and a peak wattage of 5500W. When propane-powered, it has 4275 rated watts and 5225 peak watts.
At a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The running time of the XP5500DX, with its 4 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 8.9 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.45 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 7.6 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.62 GPH).
The XP5500DX is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Since the XP5500DX bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The dimensions of the DuroMax XP5500DX, which are L25 x W23 x H22 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Since the generator weighs 135 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The XP5500DX and its control panel include a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
The XP5500DX also benefits from DuroMax’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP5500DX, the following accessories are also included: propane hose, funnel and tool kit.
The DuroMax XP5500DX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP5500DX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP5500DX compare to generators of similar power (between 4000 and 5000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the DuroMax XP5500DX only weighs in at 135 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 4000-5000 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Pulsar PG5250, weighing just 99.5 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 69 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Yamaha EF4500iSE with only 58 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the XP5500DX, reaching around 8.9 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Dewalt DXGN4500, reaching around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.45 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Pulsar PG5250B, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.33 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4000-5000W generators, the DuroMax XP5500DX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (135 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4500 W||4275 W|
|Starting watts||5500 W||5225 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps||35.6/17.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps||43.5/21.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.9 h||7.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Metal, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 23 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP5500DX is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3587 W||5062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||3595 W||4015 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2780 W||5480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.