Gas + CO sensor
Dual fuel + CO sensor
Dual fuel + CO sensor + USB ports
Zoom on the DuroMax XP5500DX
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP5500DX is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroMax XP5500DX allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 4,500W and a starting wattage of 5,500W. If propane-powered, it gives 4,275 rated watts and 5,225 starting watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the XP5500DX can operate for up to 19 hours using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.44 GPH), or for up to 15 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.31 GPH) using propane.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the XP5500DX is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP5500DX is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The dimensions of the DuroMax XP5500DX, which are L25 x W23 x H22 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 128 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
To help you monitor the XP5500DX's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
The XP5500DX also benefits from DuroMax’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the DuroMax XP5500DX also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit, propane hose and funnel.
The DuroMax XP5500DX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP5500DX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP5500DX compare to generators of similar power (between 4000 and 5000 W).
- As its weight is 128 pounds, the DuroMax XP5500DX falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 4000-5000 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN 56477i, weighing just 72.7 pounds.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 69 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Yamaha EF4500iSE, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 58 dBA.
- The XP5500DX provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching up to 19 hours at 25% load. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the DuroStar DS5000X, boasting with up to 22 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.21 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.18 GPH, the DuroStar DS5000X is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4000-5000W dual fuel generators, the DuroMax XP5500DX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (128 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4,500 W||4,275 W|
|Starting watts||5,500 W||5,225 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps||35.6/17.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps||43.5/21.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||19 h||15 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Metal, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 23 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP5500DX is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3567 W||5042 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||3595 W||4015 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2780 W||5480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.