-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 4
Gas + CO sensor
Dual fuel + CO sensor
Dual fuel + CO sensor + USB ports
Zoom on the DuroMax XP5500DX
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP5500DX is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile DuroMax XP5500DX provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 4,500W along with a peak wattage of 5,500W. While propane-powered, it provides 4,275 rated watts and 5,225 starting watts.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation).
Regarding its running time, the XP5500DX, with a 4 gallons fuel capacity can operate for up to 19 hours with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.44 GPH). When using propane, it can run for up to 15 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.31 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the XP5500DX is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
As the XP5500DX holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The DuroMax XP5500DX has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L25 x W23 x H22 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 128 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The XP5500DX's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
The XP5500DX also benefits from DuroMax’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the DuroMax XP5500DX also comes with some accessories: propane hose, tool kit and funnel are included.
The DuroMax XP5500DX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP5500DX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP5500DX compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 4000 and 5000 W).
- With its weight of 128 lbs, the DuroMax XP5500DX is one of the heavier dual fuel generators in the 4000-5000 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Ford FG5250PBR, with a dry weight of only 108 lbs.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 69 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Champion 201003. With just 61 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 9 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the XP5500DX falls into the low end in comparison with other dual fuel devices of a comparable power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Champion 201279, with around 14 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.44 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.33 GPH, the Pulsar PG5250B is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4000-5000W dual fuel generators, the DuroMax XP5500DX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (128 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4,500 W||4,275 W|
|Starting watts||5,500 W||5,225 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps||35.6/17.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps||43.5/21.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||19 h||15 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 23 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP5500DX is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3567 W||5042 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||3595 W||4015 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2780 W||5480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.