Gas + CO sensor
Dual fuel + CO sensor
Dual fuel + CO sensor + USB ports
Zoom on the DuroMax XP5500DX
In summary, the DuroMax XP5500DX is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroMax XP5500DX allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 4500W and a starting wattage of 5500W. If propane-powered, it gives 4275 rated watts and 5225 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The running time of the XP5500DX, with its 4 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 8.9 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.45 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 7.6 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.62 GPH).
The XP5500DX is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Since the XP5500DX bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The DuroMax XP5500DX has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L25 x W23 x H22 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 135 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the XP5500DX's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
The XP5500DX also benefits from DuroMax’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the DuroMax XP5500DX's package also includes these accessories: propane hose, funnel and tool kit.
The DuroMax XP5500DX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP5500DX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP5500DX compare to generators of similar power (between 4000 and 5000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 135 lbs, the DuroMax XP5500DX belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 4000 to 5000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PG5250 with only 99.5 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 69 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Yamaha EF4500iSE, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 58 dBA.
- The XP5500DX's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 8.9 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Dewalt DXGN4500, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.45 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Pulsar PG5250B. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.33 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4000-5000W dual fuel generators, the DuroMax XP5500DX is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (135 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4500 W||4275 W|
|Starting watts||5500 W||5225 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps||35.6/17.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps||43.5/21.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.9 h||7.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Metal, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 23 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP5500DX is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3567 W||5042 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||3595 W||4015 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2780 W||5480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.