No CO sensor
Zoom on the DuroMax XP4850HX
In summary, the DuroMax XP4850HX is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the DuroMax XP4850HX delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3,850W and a peak wattage of 4,850W. When propane-powered, it has 3,650 rated watts and 4,600 peak watts.
With a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
Regarding its running time, the XP4850HX, with a 4 gallons fuel capacity can operate for up to 23 hours with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH). When using propane, it can run for up to 18 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.26 GPH).
Since the XP4850HX has a somewhat high THD (<12%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Since the XP4850HX bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
With its dimensions of L23 x W25 x H22 in, the conventional, open frame design of the DuroMax XP4850HX offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 126 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The control panel of the XP4850HX includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
The XP4850HX also benefits from DuroMax’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP4850HX, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, propane hose and funnel.
The DuroMax XP4850HX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4850HX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4850HX compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 126 pounds, the DuroMax XP4850HX is one of the heavier dual fuel generators producing between 3500 and 4500 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN DF402iX, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 69 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- As the XP4850HX features an autonomy of up to 23 hours at 25% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its type and power range. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman WH03662OF, as it provides up to 25 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Champion 200988, with a fuel consumption of 0.16 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel generators, the DuroMax XP4850HX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (126 lbs)
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||210 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,850 W||3,650 W|
|Starting watts||4,850 W||4,600 W|
|Running amps||32.1 amps||30.4 amps|
|Peak amps||40.4 amps||38.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||23 h||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23 x 25 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4850HX is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3067 W||4067 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||3060 W||3480 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.