-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 14
No CO sensor
Zoom on the DuroMax XP4850HX
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP4850HX is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile DuroMax XP4850HX provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 3,850W along with a peak wattage of 4,850W. While propane-powered, it provides 3,650 rated watts and 4,600 starting watts.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music).
The running time of the XP4850HX, with its 4 gallons fuel capacity, can reach up to 23 hours on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH). With propane, it can reach up to 18 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.26 GPH).
As the XP4850HX has a relatively high THD (<12%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Since the XP4850HX bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
With its dimensions of L23 x W25 x H22 in, the conventional, open frame design of the DuroMax XP4850HX offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 126 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the XP4850HX's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
The XP4850HX also benefits from DuroMax’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP4850HX, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, funnel and propane hose.
The DuroMax XP4850HX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4850HX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4850HX compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- A weight of 126 lbs makes the DuroMax XP4850HX one of the heavier dual fuel devices in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN DF402iX, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 69 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- Since the XP4850HX boasts with a run time of up to 23 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most dual fuel generators of a comparable output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Firman WH03662OF, with up to 25 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.16 GPH, the Champion 200988 is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel generators, the DuroMax XP4850HX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (126 lbs)
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||210 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,850 W||3,650 W|
|Starting watts||4,850 W||4,600 W|
|Running amps||32.1 amps||30.4 amps|
|Peak amps||40.4 amps||38.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||23 h||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23 x 25 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4850HX is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3055 W||4555 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3070 W||3660 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.