-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 40
No CO sensor
Zoom on the DuroMax XP4850EH
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP4850EH is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the DuroMax XP4850EH delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3,850W and a peak wattage of 4,850W. When propane-powered, it has 3,658 rated watts and 4,608 peak watts.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office).
The running time of the XP4850EH, with its 4 gallons fuel capacity, can reach up to 23 hours on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH). With propane, it can reach up to 18 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.26 GPH).
As the XP4850EH has a relatively high THD (<12%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP4850EH is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The dimensions of the DuroMax XP4850EH, which are L25 x W24 x H21 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 122 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The XP4850EH's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the DuroMax XP4850EH also is packed along with the following accessories: battery charging cables, propane hose, tool kit and funnel.
The DuroMax XP4850EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4850EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4850EH compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 122 pounds, the DuroMax XP4850EH is one of the heavier dual fuel generators producing between 3500 and 4500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN DF402iX with only 66.1 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- The XP4850EH provides a higher run time than similarly powerful dual fuel devices, reaching up to 23 hours at 25% load. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Firman WH03662OF, with up to 25 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Champion 200988, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.16 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel generators, the DuroMax XP4850EH is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (122 lbs)
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||210 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,850 W||3,658 W|
|Starting watts||4,850 W||4,608 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||32.1/16 amps||30.5/15.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||40.4/20.2 amps||38.4/19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||23 h||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 24 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4850EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3072 W||4547 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||3060 W||3480 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
What 2 items can i run at a time? (Asked March 08, 2021)
Any two items that you wish, as long as they do not contain sensitive electronic components and stay within the maximum running/starting watts. You can start by determining the running and starting watts of your appliances, or use our wattage calculator to get an estimation.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.