Zoom on the DuroMax XP4850EH
In summary, the DuroMax XP4850EH is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the DuroMax XP4850EH delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3850W and a peak wattage of 4850W. When propane-powered, it has 3658 rated watts and 4608 peak watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
As for its running time, the XP4850EH, along with its 4 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 9 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.52 GPH).
Since the XP4850EH has a somewhat high THD (<12%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP4850EH is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The design of the DuroMax XP4850EH is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L24 x W17 x H17 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 125 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the XP4850EH includes a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the DuroMax XP4850EH's package also includes these accessories: propane hose, tool kit, funnel and battery charging cables.
The DuroMax XP4850EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4850EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4850EH compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- At a weight of 125 pounds, the DuroMax XP4850EH places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA is on the noisier side. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Cummins Onan P4500i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 10 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the XP4850EH falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, as it provides around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.4 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the DuroMax XP4850EH is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (125 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||208 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3850 W||3658 W|
|Starting watts||4850 W||4608 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||32.1/16 amps||30.5/15.2 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||40.4/20.2 amps||38.4/19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 17 x 17 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4850EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3072 W||4547 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||3060 W||3480 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.