Zoom on the DuroMax XP4850EH
In summary, the DuroMax XP4850EH is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the DuroMax XP4850EH delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3850W and a peak wattage of 4850W. When propane-powered, it has 3658 rated watts and 4608 peak watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office), this generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Regarding its running time, the XP4850EH, with a 4 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 9 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.52 GPH).
The XP4850EH is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
As the XP4850EH holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The dimensions of the DuroMax XP4850EH, which are L25 x W24 x H21 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 122 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The XP4850EH's control center features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the DuroMax XP4850EH also comes with several accessories, including: battery charging cables, propane hose, funnel and tool kit.
The DuroMax XP4850EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4850EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4850EH compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- With a dry weight of 122 pounds, the DuroMax XP4850EH finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 69 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cummins Onan P4500i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the XP4850EH, reaching around 10 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, as it provides around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.4 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the DuroMax XP4850EH is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (122 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||208 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3850 W||3658 W|
|Starting watts||4850 W||4608 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||32.1/16 amps||30.5/15.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||40.4/20.2 amps||38.4/19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 24 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4850EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3055 W||3055 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3070 W||3660 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
What 2 items can i run at a time? (Asked March 08, 2021)
Any two items that you wish, as long as they do not contain sensitive electronic components and stay within the maximum running/starting watts. You can start by determining the running and starting watts of your appliances, or use our wattage calculator to get an estimation.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.