Zoom on the DuroMax XP4850EH
In summary, the DuroMax XP4850EH is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroMax XP4850EH allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 3850W and a starting wattage of 4850W. If propane-powered, it gives 3658 rated watts and 4608 starting watts.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation).
With a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the XP4850EH can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH), or for around 9 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.52 GPH) using propane.
The XP4850EH is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Because the XP4850EH is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The DuroMax XP4850EH has the following dimensions: L25 x W24 x H21 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 122 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The XP4850EH's control center features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the DuroMax XP4850EH also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, battery charging cables, propane hose and funnel.
The DuroMax XP4850EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4850EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4850EH compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 122 lbs, the DuroMax XP4850EH belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 69 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Cummins Onan P4500i. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 10 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the XP4850EH is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 4375, with around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.4 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the DuroMax XP4850EH is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (122 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||208 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3850 W||3658 W|
|Starting watts||4850 W||4608 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||32.1/16 amps||30.5/15.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||40.4/20.2 amps||38.4/19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 24 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4850EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3072 W||4547 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||3060 W||3480 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
What 2 items can i run at a time? (Asked March 08, 2021)
Any two items that you wish, as long as they do not contain sensitive electronic components and stay within the maximum running/starting watts. You can start by determining the running and starting watts of your appliances, or use our wattage calculator to get an estimation.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.