Zoom on the DuroMax XP4850EH
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP4850EH is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the DuroMax XP4850EH delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3850W and a peak wattage of 4850W. When propane-powered, it has 3658 rated watts and 4608 peak watts.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office).
Regarding its running time, the XP4850EH, with a 4 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 9 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.52 GPH).
The XP4850EH is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Because the XP4850EH is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The design of the DuroMax XP4850EH is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L24 x W17 x H17 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 125 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The XP4850EH's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP4850EH, the following accessories are also included: funnel, battery charging cables, propane hose and tool kit.
The DuroMax XP4850EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4850EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4850EH compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 125 lbs, the DuroMax XP4850EH belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Cummins Onan P4500i with only 52 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 10 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the XP4850EH is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, as it provides around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.4 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the DuroMax XP4850EH is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (125 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||208 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3850 W||3658 W|
|Starting watts||4850 W||4608 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||32.1/16 amps||30.5/15.2 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||40.4/20.2 amps||38.4/19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 17 x 17 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4850EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3055 W||4555 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3070 W||3660 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.