Zoom on the DuroMax XP4850EH
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP4850EH is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the DuroMax XP4850EH delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3850W and a peak wattage of 4850W. When propane-powered, it has 3658 rated watts and 4608 peak watts.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office).
Regarding its running time, the XP4850EH, with a 4 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 9 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.52 GPH).
The quite high THD (<12%) of the XP4850EH makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Since the XP4850EH bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
With its dimensions of L25 x W24 x H21 in, the conventional, open frame design of the DuroMax XP4850EH offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 122 lbs. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the XP4850EH includes a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the DuroMax XP4850EH also comes with some accessories: tool kit, propane hose, funnel and battery charging cables are included.
The DuroMax XP4850EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4850EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4850EH compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As its weight is 122 pounds, the DuroMax XP4850EH falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 69 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cummins Onan P4500i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the XP4850EH, reaching around 10 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 4375, reaching around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.4 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the DuroMax XP4850EH is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (122 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||208 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3850 W||3658 W|
|Starting watts||4850 W||4608 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||32.1/16 amps||30.5/15.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||40.4/20.2 amps||38.4/19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 24 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4850EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3055 W||4555 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3070 W||3660 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
What 2 items can i run at a time? (Asked March 08, 2021)
Any two items that you wish, as long as they do not contain sensitive electronic components and stay within the maximum running/starting watts. You can start by determining the running and starting watts of your appliances, or use our wattage calculator to get an estimation.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.