No CO sensor
Zoom on the DuroMax XP4850EH
In summary, the DuroMax XP4850EH is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroMax XP4850EH allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 3,850W and a starting wattage of 4,850W. If propane-powered, it gives 3,658 rated watts and 4,608 starting watts.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office).
As for its running time, the XP4850EH, along with its 4 gallons fuel capacity, can run for up to 23 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 18 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.26 GPH).
As the XP4850EH has a relatively high THD (<12%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Because the XP4850EH is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The DuroMax XP4850EH has the following dimensions: L25 x W24 x H21 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 122 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The XP4850EH and its control panel include a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the DuroMax XP4850EH's package also includes these accessories: battery charging cables, tool kit, propane hose and funnel.
The DuroMax XP4850EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4850EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4850EH compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- With its weight of 122 lbs, the DuroMax XP4850EH is one of the heavier dual fuel generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN DF402iX, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 69 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Since the XP4850EH boasts with a run time of up to 23 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most dual fuel generators of a comparable output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Firman WH03662OF, boasting with up to 25 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.16 GPH, the Champion 200988 is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel generators, the DuroMax XP4850EH is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (122 lbs)
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||210 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,850 W||3,658 W|
|Starting watts||4,850 W||4,608 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||32.1/16 amps||30.5/15.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||40.4/20.2 amps||38.4/19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||23 h||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 24 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4850EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3055 W||3755 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3070 W||3660 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
What 2 items can i run at a time? (Asked March 08, 2021)
Any two items that you wish, as long as they do not contain sensitive electronic components and stay within the maximum running/starting watts. You can start by determining the running and starting watts of your appliances, or use our wattage calculator to get an estimation.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.