Zoom on the DuroMax XP4850EH
In summary, the DuroMax XP4850EH is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile DuroMax XP4850EH provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 3850W along with a peak wattage of 4850W. While propane-powered, it provides 3658 rated watts and 4608 starting watts.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation).
With a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the XP4850EH can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH), or for around 9 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.52 GPH) using propane.
Since the XP4850EH has a somewhat high THD (<12%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Because the XP4850EH is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The DuroMax XP4850EH has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L25 x W24 x H21 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 122 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The control panel of the XP4850EH includes a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, when its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the DuroMax XP4850EH's package also includes these accessories: tool kit, funnel, battery charging cables and propane hose.
The DuroMax XP4850EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4850EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4850EH compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- With a dry weight of 122 pounds, the DuroMax XP4850EH finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 69 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cummins Onan P4500i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the XP4850EH, reaching around 10 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, as it provides around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.4 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the DuroMax XP4850EH is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (122 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||208 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3850 W||3658 W|
|Starting watts||4850 W||4608 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||32.1/16 amps||30.5/15.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||40.4/20.2 amps||38.4/19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 24 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4850EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3072 W||4547 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||3060 W||3480 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
What 2 items can i run at a time? (Asked March 08, 2021)
Any two items that you wish, as long as they do not contain sensitive electronic components and stay within the maximum running/starting watts. You can start by determining the running and starting watts of your appliances, or use our wattage calculator to get an estimation.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.