Zoom on the DuroMax XP4850EH
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP4850EH is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile DuroMax XP4850EH provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 3850W along with a peak wattage of 4850W. While propane-powered, it provides 3658 rated watts and 4608 starting watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office), this generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The XP4850EH, with a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, reaches a run time of around 10 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 9 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.52 GPH) with propane.
The XP4850EH is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP4850EH is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The DuroMax XP4850EH has the following dimensions: L25 x W24 x H21 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 122 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The control panel of the XP4850EH includes a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the DuroMax XP4850EH also comes with several accessories, including: battery charging cables, tool kit, funnel and propane hose.
The DuroMax XP4850EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4850EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4850EH compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 122 lbs, the DuroMax XP4850EH belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 69 dBA can be judged as noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Cummins Onan P4500i. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The XP4850EH's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 10 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, as it provides around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.4 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the DuroMax XP4850EH is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (122 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||208 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3850 W||3658 W|
|Starting watts||4850 W||4608 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||32.1/16 amps||30.5/15.2 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||40.4/20.2 amps||38.4/19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 24 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4850EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3055 W||3055 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3070 W||3660 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
What 2 items can i run at a time? (Asked March 08, 2021)
Any two items that you wish, as long as they do not contain sensitive electronic components and stay within the maximum running/starting watts. You can start by determining the running and starting watts of your appliances, or use our wattage calculator to get an estimation.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.