Zoom on the DuroMax XP4500iH
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP4500iH is a portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile DuroMax XP4500iH provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 3,600W along with a peak wattage of 4,500W. While propane-powered, it provides 3,420 rated watts and 4,275 starting watts. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (XP4500iH-PK parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be increased if linked to a second compatible unit.
DuroMax’s Switch On Demand technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
With a noise rating of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). Moreover, to offer you even more convenience, the XP4500iH can also be remotely started (key fob included).
The running time of the XP4500iH, with its 2.64 gallons fuel capacity, can reach up to 16 hours on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH). With propane, it can reach up to 19 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.25 GPH).
The XP4500iH produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (1 x USB-A and 1 x USB-C) with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this DuroMax generator is RV Ready.
Since the DuroMax XP4500iH is an inverter generator, its closed design (L24 x W19 x H22 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Since the generator weighs 115 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its set of 2 wheels (⌀4.5") and its telecospic handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
A digital data center, one of the features of the XP4500iH's control panel, gives you information on the power output, voltage, lifetime run hours, fuel level and frequency, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
The XP4500iH also benefits from DuroMax’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP4500iH, the following accessories are also included: battery charger, tool kit, propane hose, key fob and funnel.
The DuroMax XP4500iH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4500iH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4500iH compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As its weight is 115 pounds, the DuroMax XP4500iH falls in the expected weight range of the inverters in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest emitted noise of 65 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Westinghouse iGen4500DF. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As the XP4500iH offers up to 16 hours run time on a full tank at a 25% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the inverter generators of a similar power. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman W03661OF, as it provides up to 25 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Champion 200988. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.16 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel inverter generators, the DuroMax XP4500iH is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- USB-C port
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Switch On Demand technology
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (115 lbs)
- Decent run time
- On the expensive side
- On the noisy side (65 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||223 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,600 W||3,420 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W||4,275 W|
|Running amps||30 amps||28.5 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps||35.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||16 h||19 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A and USB-C)|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.64 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 19 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charger, propane hose, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4500iH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2877 W||3877 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2860 W||3450 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.