Zoom on the DuroMax XP4500iH
In summary, the DuroMax XP4500iH is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the DuroMax XP4500iH delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3600W and a peak wattage of 4500W. When propane-powered, it has 3420 rated watts and 4275 peak watts. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (XP4500iH-PK parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
At a noise rating of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), this inverter generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). For additional convenience, the XP4500iH may also be remotely started (key fob included).
The running time of the XP4500iH, with its 2.64 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 8 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 11 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.43 GPH).
As the XP4500iH produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (1 x USB-A and 1 x USB-C) with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this DuroMax generator is RV Ready.
The DuroMax XP4500iH's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L24 x W19 x H22 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 115 lbs. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its set of 2 wheels and its telecospic handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
One of the many XP4500iH's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the voltage, power output, frequency, fuel level and lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP4500iH, the following accessories are also included: key fob, funnel, tool kit, propane hose and battery charger.
The DuroMax XP4500iH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4500iH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4500iH compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- At a weight of 115 pounds, the DuroMax XP4500iH places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 65 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Cummins Onan P4500i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the XP4500iH, reaching around 8 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 4375, with around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the DuroMax XP4500iH is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- USB-C port
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (115 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||223 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3600 W||3420 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W||4275 W|
|Running amps||30 amps||28.5 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps||35.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A and USB-C)|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.64 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 19 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charger, propane hose, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4500iH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2877 W||3877 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2860 W||3450 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.