Zoom on the DuroMax XP4500iH
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP4500iH is a portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the DuroMax XP4500iH delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3,600W and a peak wattage of 4,500W. When propane-powered, it has 3,420 rated watts and 4,275 peak watts. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (XP4500iH-PK parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
DuroMax’s Switch On Demand technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). For additional convenience, the XP4500iH may also be remotely started (key fob included).
The XP4500iH, with a fuel capacity of 2.64 gallons, reaches a run time of up to 16 hours utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of up to 19 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.25 GPH) with propane.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the XP4500iH produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (1 x USB-A and 1 x USB-C) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
This DuroMax generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L24 x W19 x H22 in), the DuroMax XP4500iH, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 115 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, thanks to its set of 2 wheels (⌀4.5") and its telecospic handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the XP4500iH's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the fuel level, frequency, lifetime run hours, power output and voltage.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the inverter generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The XP4500iH also benefits from DuroMax’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP4500iH, the following accessories are also included: funnel, key fob, tool kit, propane hose and battery charger.
The DuroMax XP4500iH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4500iH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4500iH compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- At a weight of 115 pounds, the DuroMax XP4500iH places in the expected weight range of the inverter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest emitted noise of 65 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF with only 52 dBA.
- The XP4500iH, falls within the average autonomy range compared to inverter generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of up to 16 hours at a 25% load and a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Firman W03661OF, boasting with up to 25 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Champion 200988, with a fuel consumption of 0.16 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel inverter generators, the DuroMax XP4500iH is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Dual Fuel
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- USB-C port
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Switch On Demand technology
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (115 lbs)
- Decent run time
- On the expensive side
- On the noisy side (65 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||223 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,600 W||3,420 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W||4,275 W|
|Running amps||30 amps||28.5 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps||35.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||16 h||19 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A and USB-C)|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.64 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 19 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charger, propane hose, and battery|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4500iH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2877 W||3877 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2860 W||3450 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.