Zoom on the DuroMax XP4500DX
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP4500DX is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile DuroMax XP4500DX provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 3,500W along with a peak wattage of 4,500W. While propane-powered, it provides 3,325 rated watts and 4,275 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
As for its running time, the XP4500DX, along with its 4 gallons fuel capacity, can run for up to 25 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 20 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.24 GPH).
The quite high THD (<12%) of the XP4500DX makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP4500DX is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L25 x W23 x H22 in, the conventional, open frame design of the DuroMax XP4500DX offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 126 lbs. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The control panel of the XP4500DX includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The XP4500DX also benefits from DuroMax’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the DuroMax XP4500DX also comes with some accessories: funnel, propane hose and tool kit are included.
The DuroMax XP4500DX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4500DX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4500DX compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- A weight of 126 lbs makes the DuroMax XP4500DX one of the heavier dual fuel devices in the 3000-4000 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the A-iPower SUA4300iD, standing at just 54.8 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 25 hours at 25% load, the XP4500DX benefits from one of the highest run times among dual fuel generators of a similar output.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator can be considered as one of the most fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.16 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W dual fuel generators, the DuroMax XP4500DX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (126 lbs)
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,500 W||3,325 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W||4,275 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps||27.7/13.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps||35.6/17.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||25 h||20 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 23 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4500DX is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2797 W||3897 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Dose this model have USB ports (Asked December 30, 2022)
The unit does not have USB ports, or any sort of DC output for that matter. You may check this list of units with built-in USB ports.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.