Zoom on the DuroMax XP4500DX
In summary, the DuroMax XP4500DX is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile DuroMax XP4500DX provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 3,500W along with a peak wattage of 4,500W. While propane-powered, it provides 3,325 rated watts and 4,275 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
As for its running time, the XP4500DX, along with its 4 gallons fuel capacity, can run for up to 25 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 20 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.24 GPH).
The XP4500DX is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Because the XP4500DX is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The DuroMax XP4500DX has the following dimensions: L25 x W23 x H22 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Since the generator weighs 126 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The XP4500DX and its control panel include a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The XP4500DX also benefits from DuroMax’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the DuroMax XP4500DX also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, propane hose and funnel.
The DuroMax XP4500DX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4500DX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4500DX compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- A weight of 126 lbs makes the DuroMax XP4500DX one of the heavier dual fuel devices in the 3000-4000 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the A-iPower SUA4300iD, with a dry weight of only 54.8 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Westinghouse iGen4500DF. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 25 hours at 25% load, the XP4500DX benefits from one of the highest run times among dual fuel generators of a similar output.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.16 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this generator is among the most fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 3000-4000W dual fuel generators, the DuroMax XP4500DX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (126 lbs)
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)
|212 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|25 x 23 x 22 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring
|Bonded to frame
|Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4500DX is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)
Dose this model have USB ports (Asked December 30, 2022)
The unit does not have USB ports, or any sort of DC output for that matter. You may check this list of units with built-in USB ports.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.