Zoom on the DuroMax XP4400EH
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP4400EH is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the DuroMax XP4400EH delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3,500W and a peak wattage of 4,400W. When propane-powered, it has 3,325 rated watts and 4,180 peak watts.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music).
The running time of the XP4400EH, with its 4 gallons fuel capacity, can reach up to 25 hours on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH). With propane, it can reach up to 20 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.24 GPH).
The quite high THD (<12%) of the XP4400EH makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Because the XP4400EH is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The design of the DuroMax XP4400EH is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L25 x W24 x H21 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 122 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The XP4400EH's control center features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the DuroMax XP4400EH's package also includes these accessories: propane hose, funnel and tool kit. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP4400EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4400EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4400EH compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- At a dry weight of 122 pounds, the DuroMax XP4400EH is one of the heavier dual fuel devices which can produce between 3000 and 4000 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the A-iPower SUA4300iD, with a dry weight of just 54.8 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 69 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- The XP4400EH provides one of the highest run time among similarly powerful dual fuel devices, reaching up to 25 hours at 25% load.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is one of the most fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.16 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W dual fuel generators, the DuroMax XP4400EH is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (122 lbs)
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||210 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,500 W||3,325 W|
|Starting watts||4,400 W||4,180 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps||27.7/13.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||36.7/18.3 amps||34.8/17.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||25 h||20 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 24 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4400EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2767 W||4242 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2760 W||3350 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
What is the best oil to use (Asked September 22, 2020)
Recommended engine oil is SAE 10W-30.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.