Zoom on the DuroMax XP4400E
In summary, the DuroMax XP4400E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP4400E's engine, 208 cc (7 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 3500W and reaches a peak wattage of 4400W.
With a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the XP4400E can operate for around 11.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.35 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The quite high THD (<12%) of the XP4400E makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP4400E is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The DuroMax XP4400E has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L25 x W24 x H21 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Since the generator weighs 122 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The XP4400E and its control panel include a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the DuroMax XP4400E also comes with some accessories: battery charging cables, funnel and tool kit are included. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP4400E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4400E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4400E compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 122 lbs, the DuroMax XP4400E belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 69 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Cat INV4000E, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 51 dBA.
- Given that the XP4400E reaches an autonomy of around 11.5 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, as it provides around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.35 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the DuroMax XP4400E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (122 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||36.7/18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 24 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4400E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2797 W||3897 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.