Zoom on the DuroMax XP4400E
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP4400E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP4400E's core is the 212 cc (7 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 3,500W and a peak wattage of 4,400W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the XP4400E can operate for up to 25 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the XP4400E is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
As the XP4400E holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The design of the DuroMax XP4400E is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L25 x W24 x H21 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 122 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The control panel of the XP4400E includes a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the DuroMax XP4400E also comes with several accessories, including: battery charging cables, funnel and tool kit. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP4400E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4400E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4400E compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As its weight is 122 pounds, the DuroMax XP4400E falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 3000-4000 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of only 46 lbs.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 69 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- With a run time of up to 25 hours at 25% load, the XP4400E has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the DuroStar DS4000S, boasting with up to 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.16 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Energizer eZV3500P. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.13 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the DuroMax XP4400E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (122 lbs)
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,500 W|
|Starting watts||4,400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||36.7/18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||25 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 24 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4400E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2797 W||3897 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
How much oil does a duromax xp4400e take (Asked July 05, 2022)
Engine oil capacity is 20 fl. oz.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.