Zoom on the DuroMax XP4400E
In summary, the DuroMax XP4400E is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP4400E's build contains a gasoline-fueled 208 cc (7 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 3500W and also a peak wattage of 4400W.
At a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The XP4400E can operate for around 11.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.35 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The XP4400E is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.As the XP4400E holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The DuroMax XP4400E has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L24 x W17 x H17 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 125 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit (⌀8") and a folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The XP4400E's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and a user manual, which lets you start it right away, the DuroMax XP4400E also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, tool kit and battery charging cables.
The DuroMax XP4400E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4400E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4400E compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 125 lbs, the DuroMax XP4400E belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3000 to 4000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Generac GP3500iO with only 74.3 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 69 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- Given that the XP4400E reaches an autonomy of 11.5 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Honda EB4000, with 16 hours .
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.35 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the DuroMax XP4400E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Decent weight (125 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Where to buy the DuroMax XP4400E?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||36.7/18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 17 x 17 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, funnel and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. While Duromax is still a new face to the power generator market, their products have grown in popularity and can be found in the catalogues of most US retailers.
The DuroMax XP4400E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.