Zoom on the DuroMax XP4400E
In summary, the DuroMax XP4400E is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP4400E is powered by a 208 cc (7 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3500W as well as a peak wattage of 4400W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music), this generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the XP4400E can operate for around 11.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.35 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the XP4400E is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP4400E is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The DuroMax XP4400E has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L24 x W17 x H17 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 125 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Never less, thanks to a wheel kit (⌀8") and a folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the XP4400E's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
With the basic documentation and a user manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the DuroMax XP4400E also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit, battery charging cables and funnel.
The DuroMax XP4400E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4400E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4400E compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- At a weight of 125 pounds, the DuroMax XP4400E places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 3000-4000 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- The XP4400E, offering a run time of around 11.5 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Honda EB4000, boasting with around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. Standing at an estimated 0.35 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the DuroMax XP4400E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Decent weight (125 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||36.7/18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 17 x 17 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, funnel and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroMax XP4400E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.