Zoom on the DuroMax XP4000S
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP4000S is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP4000S's design includes a gasoline-fueled 208 cc (7 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3300W and also a peak wattage of 4000W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the XP4000S can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH).
As the XP4000S has a relatively high THD (<12%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Even if this DuroMax generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
The dimensions of the DuroMax XP4000S, which are L23 x W17 x H18 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The XP4000S can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 92 lbs. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and shifted.
If you wish to transport the XP4000S more easily, you may also consider purchasing the official wheel kit (opens in a new tab).
The XP4000S's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the DuroMax XP4000S's package also includes these accessories: tool kit and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP4000S is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4000S versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4000S compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- With a dry weight of 92 pounds, the DuroMax XP4000S finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM3300i, weighing just 47.4 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 69 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- As the XP4000S features an autonomy of around 12 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, as it provides around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Genmax GM3300i, with a fuel consumption of 0.22 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the DuroMax XP4000S is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Decent weight (92 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3300 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||27.5 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23 x 17 x 18 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4000S is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2637 W||3637 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2635 W||3225 W|
|Total||2600 W||3700 W|
Can you add an electric start? (Asked January 30, 2021)
Not without modifying the unit, which would most likely void your warranty. You may want to have a look at the XP4400E, which has similar specs, but comes with an electric start and a wheel kit.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.