Zoom on the DuroMax XP4000S
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP4000S is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP4000S houses a 208 cc (7 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3300W along with a peak wattage of 4000W.
With a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the XP4000S can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
Since the XP4000S has a somewhat high THD (<12%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
This DuroMax generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready.
The DuroMax XP4000S has the following dimensions: L23 x W18 x H17.5 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the XP4000S's weight is only 94 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
The XP4000S's control center features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and a user manual, useful for starting the generator right away, the DuroMax XP4000S's package also includes these accessories: funnel and tool kit.
The DuroMax XP4000S is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4000S versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4000S compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- With a dry weight of 94 pounds, the DuroMax XP4000S finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU3000iS. With just 50 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The XP4000S, offering a run time of around 12 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000, as it provides around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the DuroMax XP4000S is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Decent weight (94 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3300 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||27.5 amps|
|Peaks amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||23 x 18 x 17.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroMax XP4000S is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.