Zoom on the DuroMax XP4000S
In summary, the DuroMax XP4000S is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP4000S's design includes a gasoline-fueled 208 cc (7 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3300W and also a peak wattage of 4000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The XP4000S can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the XP4000S is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
While this DuroMax generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The DuroMax XP4000S has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23 x W17 x H18 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
The XP4000S's dry weight of 92 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
If you wish to transport the XP4000S more easily, you may also consider purchasing the official wheel kit (opens in a new tab).
The XP4000S's control center features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the DuroMax XP4000S also comes with some accessories: tool kit and funnel are included. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP4000S is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4000S versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4000S compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Weight-wise, the DuroMax XP4000S has only 92 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 69 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- The XP4000S, offering a run time of around 12 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Standing at an estimated 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the DuroMax XP4000S is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight for its kind (92 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3300 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||27.5 amps|
|Peaks amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23 x 17 x 18 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4000S is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2637 W||3637 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2635 W||3225 W|
|Total||2600 W||3700 W|
Can you add an electric start? (Asked January 30, 2021)
Not without modifying the unit, which would most likely void your warranty. You may want to have a look at the XP4400E, which has similar specs, but comes with an electric start and a wheel kit.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.