Zoom on the DuroMax XP4000S
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP4000S is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP4000S houses a 208 cc (7 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3,300W along with a peak wattage of 4,000W.
At a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the XP4000S can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
As the XP4000S has a relatively high THD (<12%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Even if this DuroMax generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
The DuroMax XP4000S has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23 x W17 x H18 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The XP4000S can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 92 lbs. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and shifted.
It is also possible to purchase the official wheel kit (opens in a new tab) to help you transport the XP4000S more easily.
The XP4000S's control center features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the DuroMax XP4000S also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP4000S is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4000S versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4000S compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- At a weight of 92 pounds, the DuroMax XP4000S places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO with only 46 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 69 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU3000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 50 dBA.
- The XP4000S provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching around 12 hours at 50% load. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.22 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the DuroMax XP4000S is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Decent weight (92 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,300 W|
|Starting watts||4,000 W|
|Running amps||27.5 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23 x 17 x 18 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4000S is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2637 W||3637 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2635 W||3225 W|
|Total||2600 W||3700 W|
Can you add an electric start? (Asked January 30, 2021)
Not without modifying the unit, which would most likely void your warranty. You may want to have a look at the XP4400E, which has similar specs, but comes with an electric start and a wheel kit.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.