Zoom on the DuroMax XP4000S
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP4000S is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP4000S houses a 208 cc (7 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3,300W along with a peak wattage of 4,000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the XP4000S can operate for up to 26 hours (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
As the XP4000S has a relatively high THD (<12%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
This DuroMax generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The dimensions of the DuroMax XP4000S, which are L23 x W17 x H18 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the XP4000S's weight is only 92 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
It is also possible to purchase the official wheel kit (opens in a new tab) to help you transport the XP4000S more easily.
The XP4000S's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP4000S, the following accessories are also included: tool kit and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP4000S is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4000S versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4000S compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- With a dry weight of 92 pounds, the DuroMax XP4000S finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of only 46 lbs.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 69 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU3000iS. With just 50 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The XP4000S provides one of the highest run time among similarly powerful devices, reaching up to 26 hours at 25% load.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Energizer eZV3500P, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.13 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the DuroMax XP4000S is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (92 lbs)
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,300 W|
|Starting watts||4,000 W|
|Running amps||27.5 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||26 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23 x 17 x 18 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4000S is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2637 W||3637 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2635 W||3225 W|
|Total||2600 W||3700 W|
Can you add an electric start? (Asked January 30, 2021)
Not without modifying the unit, which would most likely void your warranty. You may want to have a look at the XP4400E, which has similar specs, but comes with an electric start and a wheel kit.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.