Zoom on the DuroMax XP4000S
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP4000S is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP4000S's core is the 208 cc (7 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3300W and a peak wattage of 4000W.
At a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the XP4000S may run for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH).
As the XP4000S has a relatively high THD (<12%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Even though this DuroMax generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The DuroMax XP4000S has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23 x W17 x H18 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the XP4000S's weight is only 92 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
The official wheel kit (opens in a new tab) can be bought separately, if you need additional help in transporting the XP4000S.
The XP4000S's control center features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when its oil levels are insufficient.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the DuroMax XP4000S also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP4000S is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP4000S versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP4000S compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 92 lbs, the DuroMax XP4000S belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM3300i, standing at just 47.4 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 69 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- Since the XP4000S boasts with a run time of around 12 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Predator 4375, boasting with around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. As this generator uses an estimated 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the DuroMax XP4000S is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Decent weight (92 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3300 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||27.5 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23 x 17 x 18 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP4000S is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2637 W||3637 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2635 W||3225 W|
|Total||2600 W||3700 W|
Can you add an electric start? (Asked January 30, 2021)
Not without modifying the unit, which would most likely void your warranty. You may want to have a look at the XP4400E, which has similar specs, but comes with an electric start and a wheel kit.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.