Zoom on the DuroMax XP2200EH
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP2200EH is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile DuroMax XP2200EH provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 1800W along with a peak wattage of 2200W. While propane-powered, it provides 1710 rated watts and 2090 starting watts. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
At a noise rating of 61 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the inverter generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The XP2200EH, with a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, reaches a run time of around 7 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 19 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.25 GPH) with propane.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the XP2200EH generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port (USB-A) with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
The DuroMax XP2200EH's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L20 x W11.2 x H18 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
The XP2200EH is a lightweight, portable generator, as it only weighs 46 lbs. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and the oil level is too low.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the DuroMax XP2200EH also comes with several accessories, including: propane hose, tool kit and funnel.
The DuroMax XP2200EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP2200EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP2200EH compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the DuroMax XP2200EH stands at only 46 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 1500-2500 rated wattage category Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Champion 200949, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this inverter generator and its lowest emitted noise of 61 dBA is on the noisier side. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The XP2200EH, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 7 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching around 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.12 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the DuroMax XP2200EH is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight (46 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (61 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W||1710 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W||2090 W|
|Running amps||15 amps||14.3 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps||17.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h||19 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20 x 11.2 x 18 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||61 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP2200EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1420 W||1420 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Do you get twice the amperage output if you used both 14 amp plugs? For a total output of 28 amps. Or will one only get 14 amps total? (Asked May 22, 2021)
You get 15 amps total. 15A x 120V = 1800W
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.