Zoom on the DuroMax XP2200EH
In summary, the DuroMax XP2200EH is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroMax XP2200EH allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 1800W and a starting wattage of 2200W. If propane-powered, it gives 1710 rated watts and 2090 starting watts. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
With a noise rating of 61 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The running time of the XP2200EH, with its 1.2 gallon fuel capacity, can reach around 7 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 19 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.25 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the XP2200EH generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port (USB-A) with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
The DuroMax XP2200EH's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L20 x W11.2 x H18 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Since the XP2200EH weighs only 46 lbs, it can be labeled as a portable lightweight generator. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
The light indicators show you if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP2200EH, the following accessories are also included: propane hose, funnel and tool kit.
The DuroMax XP2200EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP2200EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP2200EH compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the DuroMax XP2200EH stands at only 46 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 1500-2500 rated wattage category Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Champion 200949, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this inverter generator and its lowest emitted noise of 61 dBA is on the noisier side. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The XP2200EH, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 7 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching around 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.12 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the DuroMax XP2200EH is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight (46 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (61 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W||1710 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W||2090 W|
|Running amps||15 amps||14.3 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps||17.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h||19 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20 x 11.2 x 18 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||61 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP2200EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Do you get twice the amperage output if you used both 14 amp plugs? For a total output of 28 amps. Or will one only get 14 amps total? (Asked May 22, 2021)
You get 15 amps total. 15A x 120V = 1800W
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.