Zoom on the DuroMax XP2200EH
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP2200EH is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroMax XP2200EH allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 1800W and a starting wattage of 2200W. If propane-powered, it gives 1710 rated watts and 2090 starting watts. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 61 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Regarding its running time, the XP2200EH, with a 1.2 gallon fuel capacity can operate for around 7 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 19 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.25 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the XP2200EH generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
As the DuroMax XP2200EH is an inverter generator, its encased design (L20 x W11.2 x H18 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the XP2200EH weighs just 46 lbs. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. Its handle (molded in the case) allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP2200EH, the following accessories are also included: propane hose, tool kit and funnel.
The DuroMax XP2200EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP2200EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP2200EH compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the DuroMax XP2200EH weighs just 46 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 1500 to 2500 rated wattage generators. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN 56202i with only 38.6 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest noise of 61 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the XP2200EH, reaching around 7 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for around 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen2200, with a fuel consumption of 0.12 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the DuroMax XP2200EH is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight (46 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (61 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1800 W||1710 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W||2090 W|
|Running amps||15 amps||14.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps||17.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h||19 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20 x 11.2 x 18 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||61 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP2200EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.