Zoom on the DuroMax XP15000HXT
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP15000HXT is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP15000HXT delivers 120/240V and benefits from a tri-fuel technology that allows it to run on gasoline, propane, or natural gas. When gasoline-powered, it enjoys a running wattage of 12,000W and a peak wattage of 15,000W. When propane-powered, it benefits from 11,400 rated watts and 14,250 peak watts. Its natural gas operation offers 10,260W of rated wattage and 12,825W of starting wattage.
With a noise rating of 78 dBA (less noisy than a shower), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). For additional convenience, the XP15000HXT may also be remotely started (key fob included).
Regarding its running time, the XP15000HXT, with a 13.2 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 1.1 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 2.8 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 1.68 GPH).
As the XP15000HXT has a relatively high THD (<12%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 13 AC outlets:
This DuroMax generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, because the XP15000HXT is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The DuroMax XP15000HXT has the following dimensions: L36 x W33.2 x H32 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 362 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀13") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
One of the many XP15000HXT's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the fuel level, power output, frequency, voltage and lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The XP15000HXT also benefits from DuroMax’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the DuroMax XP15000HXT also comes with several accessories, including: funnel, propane hose, natural gas hose with NPT adapter, tool kit and key fob.
The DuroMax XP15000HXT is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP15000HXT versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP15000HXT compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 14000 W).
- At a dry weight of 362 pounds, the DuroMax XP15000HXT is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 10000 and 14000 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, standing at just 218 lbs.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 78 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the DuroMax XP16000iH. With just 67 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- With a run time of around 12 hours at 50% load, the XP15000HXT has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Powerhorse 13000ES, reaching around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 1.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the A-iPower SUA13000EFI. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.78 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 10000-14000W generators, the DuroMax XP15000HXT is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Impressive quantity of AC outlets
- 4 different AC outlet types
- Remote start
- High run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- On the heavy side (362 lbs)
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Tri-Fuel (gasoline/propane/natural gas)|
|Engine||670 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||12,000 W||11,400 W||10,260 W|
|Starting watts||15,000 W||14,250 W||12,825 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||95/47.5 amps||85.5/42.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||125/62.5 amps||118.8/59.4 amps||106.9/53.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h||2.8 h||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||17.9 h||4.1 h||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 13.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||36 x 33.2 x 32 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, key fob, natural gas hose with NPT adapter, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP15000HXT is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||9587 W||11062 W|
|For work||Electric welder||9000||9000|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||9580 W||9580 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.