Zoom on the DuroMax XP15000EH
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP15000EH is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroMax XP15000EH allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 12,000W and a starting wattage of 15,000W. If propane-powered, it gives 11,400 rated watts and 14,250 starting watts.
The generator features a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 83 dBA (just slightly more noisy than garbage disposal).
The running time of the XP15000EH, with its 10.6 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 8 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 1.33 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 2.7 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 1.74 GPH).
Since the XP15000EH has a somewhat high THD (<12%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
Even though this DuroMax generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as the XP15000EH holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The design of the DuroMax XP15000EH is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L30 x W33 x H35 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 380 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀12") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
Further safety during transport, loading and unloading of the device is provided by a lift hook, which is placed on the top of the generator's frame.
The control panel of the XP15000EH includes a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP15000EH, the following accessories are also included: propane hose, funnel and tool kit.
The DuroMax XP15000EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP15000EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP15000EH compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 10000 and 14000 W).
- With its weight of 380 lbs, the DuroMax XP15000EH is one of the heavier dual fuel generators in the 10000-14000 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar PG13000BRCO, with a dry weight of only 231 lbs.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 83 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the DuroMax XP16000iH, whose lowest noise levels reach just 67 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 8 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the XP15000EH is on the low end when compared to other dual fuel generators of a similar power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the DuroMax XP15000HX, which is able to run for around 12 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 1.33 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse WGen12000DF, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.95 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 10000-14000W dual fuel generators, the DuroMax XP15000EH is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- 4 different AC outlet types
- Electric start
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (380 lbs)
- On the noisy side (83 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||713 cc DuroMax 4-stroke V-Twin|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||12,000 W||11,400 W|
|Starting watts||15,000 W||14,250 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||95/47.5 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||125/62.5 amps||118.8/59.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||2.7 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h||5.3 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||10.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 33 x 35 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||83 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP15000EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||9587 W||11062 W|
|For work||Electric welder||9000||9000|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||9580 W||9580 W|
Where can I find parts for this generator? I have looked all over for part numbers of things like oil filters, air filters, brushes, etc. and I can't find anything about this generator. (Asked August 08, 2021)
Replacement parts can be ordered directly from DuroMax (1-844-DUROMAX).
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.