Zoom on the DuroMax XP15000EH
In summary, the DuroMax XP15000EH is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
- Prudent homeowners who want a backup power source in case of a power outage
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroMax XP15000EH allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 12000W and a starting wattage of 15000W. If propane-powered, it gives 11400 rated watts and 14250 starting watts.
With a noise rating of 77 dBA (less noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the generator features a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 8.3 gallons, the XP15000EH can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.92 GPH), or for around 3 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 1.57 GPH) using propane.
As the XP15000EH has a relatively high THD (<12%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
This DuroMax generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, since the XP15000EH bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The DuroMax XP15000EH has the following dimensions: L35 x W24.5 x H38 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 349 lbs. Never less, thanks to a wheel kit and a folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
A lift hook located on the top of the frame offers an additional safety feature while facilitating the transport, loading and unloading of the generator.
The XP15000EH and its control panel include a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and a user manual, which lets you start it right away, the DuroMax XP15000EH also is packed along with the following accessories: propane hose, funnel and tool kit.
The DuroMax XP15000EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP15000EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP15000EH compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 17500 W).
- At a dry weight of 349 pounds, the DuroMax XP15000EH is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 10000 and 17500 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, with a dry weight of just 218 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 77 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 69 dBA.
- Offering around 9 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the XP15000EH is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Cat RP12000 E, with around 11.7 hours .
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.92 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.78 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 10000-17500W generators, the DuroMax XP15000EH is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (77 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (349 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||713 cc DuroMax 4-stroke V-Twin|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||12000 W||11400 W|
|Starting watts||15000 W||14250 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||95/47.5 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||125/62.5 amps||118.8/59.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||3 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)
|Fuel tank||8.3 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||35 x 24.5 x 38 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||77 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroMax XP15000EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.