Zoom on the DuroMax XP15000EH
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP15000EH is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
- Small homeowners in search of a full power backup solution
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the DuroMax XP15000EH delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 12000W and a peak wattage of 15000W. When propane-powered, it has 11400 rated watts and 14250 peak watts.
The generator features a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 77 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher).
The XP15000EH, with a fuel capacity of 8.3 gallons, reaches a run time of around 9 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.92 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 3 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 1.57 GPH) with propane.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the XP15000EH is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
Even if this DuroMax generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP15000EH is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The DuroMax XP15000EH has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L35 x W24.5 x H38 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 349 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit and a folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
A lift hook located on the top of the frame offers an additional safety feature while facilitating the transport, loading and unloading of the generator.
The control panel of the XP15000EH includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
With the basic documentation and a user manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the DuroMax XP15000EH also comes with several accessories, including: propane hose, tool kit and funnel.
The DuroMax XP15000EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP15000EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP15000EH compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 17500 W).
- At a dry weight of 349 pounds, the DuroMax XP15000EH is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 10000 and 17500 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, standing at just 218 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 77 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the A-iPower SUA13000EFI. With just 69 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As the XP15000EH offers 9 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Cat RP12000 E, with 11.7 hours .
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.92 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.78 GPH, the A-iPower SUA13000EFI is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 10000-17500W generators, the DuroMax XP15000EH is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (77 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (349 lbs)
Where to buy the DuroMax XP15000EH?
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||713 cc DuroMax 4-stroke V-Twin|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||12000 W||11400 W|
|Starting watts||15000 W||14250 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||95/47.5 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||125/62.5 amps||118.8/59.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||3 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)
|Fuel tank||8.3 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||35 x 24.5 x 38 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||77 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. While Duromax is still a new face to the power generator market, their products have grown in popularity and can be found in the catalogues of most US retailers.
The DuroMax XP15000EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.