Zoom on the DuroMax XP15000E
In summary, the DuroMax XP15000E is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
- Prudent homeowners who want a backup power source in case of a power outage
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP15000E houses a 713 cc (23 hp) DuroMax 4-stroke V-Twin engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 12000W along with a peak wattage of 15000W.
At a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the generator offers the possibility to start the device via a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the XP15000E can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 1.2 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 10.8 gallons.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the XP15000E is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel features the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
This DuroMax generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, since the XP15000E bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The design of the DuroMax XP15000E is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L35 x W24.5 x H38 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 335 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit and a folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
A lift hook located on the top of the frame offers an additional safety feature while facilitating the transport, loading and unloading of the generator.
The control panel of the XP15000E includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and a user manual to get you promptly started, the DuroMax XP15000E also comes with some accessories: tool kit and funnel are included.
The DuroMax XP15000E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP15000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP15000E compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 17500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 335 lbs, the DuroMax XP15000E belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 10000 and 17500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, standing at just 218 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 74 dBA, this generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 69 dBA.
- The XP15000E, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of 9 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP12000 E, as it provides 11.7 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 1.2 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.78 GPH, the A-iPower SUA13000EFI is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 10000-17500W generators, the DuroMax XP15000E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Quiet for its power (74 dBA)
- Decent weight (335 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
Where to buy the DuroMax XP15000E?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||713 cc DuroMax 4-stroke V-Twin|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||12000 W|
|Starting watts||15000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||125/62.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)
|Fuel tank||10.8 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||35 x 24.5 x 38 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. While Duromax is still a new face to the power generator market, their products have grown in popularity and can be found in the catalogues of most US retailers.
The DuroMax XP15000E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.