-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 9
Zoom on the DuroMax XP15000E
In summary, the DuroMax XP15000E is a powerful portable generator especially useful for professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure.
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP15000E is powered by a 713 cc (23 hp) DuroMax 4-stroke V-Twin engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 12,000W as well as a peak wattage of 15,000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 83 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an alarm clock). Its starting mechanism is based on a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The XP15000E can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 1.33 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 10.6 gallons.
The quite high THD (<12%) of the XP15000E makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 7 AC outlets:
This DuroMax generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, since the XP15000E bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The DuroMax XP15000E has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L30 x W33 x H35 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 380 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀12") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The generator comes with an additional safety feature, a lift hook on the top of its frame, which is helpful during its transport, loading and unloading.
To help you monitor the XP15000E's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the DuroMax XP15000E also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit and funnel.
The DuroMax XP15000E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP15000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP15000E compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 14000 W).
- As its dry weight is 380 pounds, the DuroMax XP15000E is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 10000 to 14000 running watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, with a dry weight of only 218 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 83 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, whose lowest noise levels reach just 69 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the XP15000E, with an autonomy of around 8 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Powerhorse 13000ES, reaching around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 1.33 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the A-iPower SUA13000EFI. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.78 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 10000-14000W generators, the DuroMax XP15000E is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- On the expensive side
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (380 lbs)
- On the noisy side (83 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||713 cc DuroMax 4-stroke V-Twin|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||12,000 W|
|Starting watts||15,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||125/62.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||10.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 33 x 35 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||83 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP15000E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||9592 W||11092 W|
|For work||Electric welder||9000||9000|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||9580 W||9580 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.