Dual fuel + CO sensor
Gas + CO sensor + New design
Dual fuel + CO sensor + New design
Zoom on the DuroMax XP12000X
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP12000X is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Prudent homeowners who want a backup power source in case of a power outage
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP12000X houses a 457 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 9,500W along with a peak wattage of 12,000W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 8.3 gallons, the XP12000X can operate for up to 19 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.44 GPH).
Since the XP12000X has a somewhat high THD (<12%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
This DuroMax generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as the XP12000X holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The dimensions of the DuroMax XP12000X, which are L29 x W30 x H26 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 230 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The XP12000X's control center features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The XP12000X also benefits from DuroMax’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the DuroMax XP12000X also comes with some accessories: tool kit and funnel are included.
The DuroMax XP12000X is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP12000X versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP12000X compare to generators of similar power (between 9000 and 10000 W).
- With a dry weight of 230 pounds, the DuroMax XP12000X finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 9000 and 10000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Rainier R12000DF, with a dry weight of just 196 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 74 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, whose lowest noise levels reach just 69 dBA.
- Since the XP12000X boasts with a run time of up to 19 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the DuroMax XP11500EH, boasting with up to 20 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.44 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.39 GPH, the Rainier R12000DF is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 9000-10000W generators, the DuroMax XP12000X is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- 4 different AC outlet types
- Electric start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (230 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||457 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||9,500 W|
|Starting watts||12,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||19 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||8.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP12000X is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7567 W||9067 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7595 W||8185 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||7340 W||11840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.