Zoom on the DuroMax XP12000HX
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP12000HX is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Prudent homeowners who want a backup power source in case of a power outage
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroMax XP12000HX allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 9500W and a starting wattage of 12000W. If propane-powered, it gives 9025 rated watts and 11400 starting watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The running time of the XP12000HX, with its 8.3 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 8.8 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.94 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 3.6 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 1.31 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
Even though this DuroMax generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as the XP12000HX holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L29 x W30 x H26 in, the conventional, open frame design of the DuroMax XP12000HX offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 230 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
To help you monitor the XP12000HX's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The XP12000HX also benefits from Duromax’ CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP12000HX, the following accessories are also included: propane hose, funnel and tool kit.
The DuroMax XP12000HX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP12000HX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP12000HX compare to generators of similar power (between 9000 and 10000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 230 lbs, the DuroMax XP12000HX belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 9000 to 10000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Rainier R12000DF with only 196 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 74 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the A-iPower SUA12000ED, whose lowest noise levels reach just 69 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 8.8 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the XP12000HX is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Powerhorse 13000ES, boasting with around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.94 GPH. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Rainier R12000DF. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.55 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 9000-10000W generators, the DuroMax XP12000HX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (230 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||457 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||9500 W||9025 W|
|Starting watts||12000 W||11400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps||75.2/37.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||95/47.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.8 h||3.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP12000HX is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7567 W||9067 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7595 W||8185 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||7340 W||11840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.