Zoom on the DuroMax XP12000EH
In summary, the DuroMax XP12000EH is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Homeowners who wish to power almost all appliances in their house under any circumstances
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroMax XP12000EH allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 9500W and a starting wattage of 12000W. If propane-powered, it gives 8075 rated watts and 10200 starting watts.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower).
With a fuel capacity of 8.3 gallons, the XP12000EH can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.92 GPH), or for around 4 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 1.18 GPH) using propane.
Since the XP12000EH has a somewhat high THD (<12%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
While this DuroMax generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP12000EH is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The DuroMax XP12000EH has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L30 x W22 x H26 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 221 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The control panel of the XP12000EH includes a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP12000EH, the following accessories are also included: propane hose, funnel and tool kit.
The DuroMax XP12000EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP12000EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP12000EH compare to generators of similar power (between 9000 and 10000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the DuroMax XP12000EH only weighs in at 221 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 9000-10000 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Rainier R12000DF, with a dry weight of only 196 lbs.
- With a lowest noise rating of 72 dBA, the generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the A-iPower SUA12000ED. With just 69 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The XP12000EH’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Powerhorse 13000ES, boasting with around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.92 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.55 GPH, the Rainier R12000DF is a device you should look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 9000-10000W generators, the DuroMax XP12000EH is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (221 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (72 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||457 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||9500 W||8075 W|
|Starting watts||12000 W||10200 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps||67.3/33.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||85/42.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||4 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||8.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 22 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP12000EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7567 W||9067 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7595 W||8185 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||7340 W||11840 W|
Does the DuroMax XP12000EH Duel Fuel Portable Generator have a bonded or floating neutral? (Asked May 13, 2020)
According to DuroMax, the neutral is floating.
What is the oil tank size of the Duromax xp12000eh? (Asked May 19, 2020)
The unit's engine oil capacity is 37 fl. oz.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.