Zoom on the DuroMax XP12000EH
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP12000EH is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners and people participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile DuroMax XP12000EH provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 9500W along with a peak wattage of 12000W. While propane-powered, it provides 8075 rated watts and 10200 starting watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 8.3 gallons, the XP12000EH can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.92 GPH), or for around 4 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 1.18 GPH) using propane.
As the XP12000EH has a relatively high THD (<12%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even though this DuroMax generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, since the XP12000EH bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The dimensions of the DuroMax XP12000EH, which are L40 x W29 x H27.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 260 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit and a folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The XP12000EH and its control panel include a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Apart from the typical documentation and a user manual, which lets you start it right away, the DuroMax XP12000EH also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, tool kit and propane hose.
The DuroMax XP12000EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP12000EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP12000EH compare to generators of similar power (between 9000 and 10000 W).
- At a weight of 260 pounds, the DuroMax XP12000EH places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 9000-10000 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Rainier R12000DF, with a dry weight of only 196 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 72 dBA, this generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the A-iPower SUA12000ED, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 69 dBA.
- The XP12000EH’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen9500, boasting with around 12 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.92 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Rainier R12000DF, with a fuel consumption of 0.55 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 9000-10000W generators, the DuroMax XP12000EH is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (72 dBA)
- Decent weight (260 lbs)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||457 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||9500 W||8075 W|
|Starting watts||12000 W||10200 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps||67.3/33.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||85/42.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||4 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||8.3 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||40 x 29 x 27.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroMax XP12000EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.