Zoom on the DuroMax XP12000EH
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP12000EH is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners and participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the DuroMax XP12000EH delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 9500W and a peak wattage of 12000W. When propane-powered, it has 8075 rated watts and 10200 peak watts.
At a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Regarding its running time, the XP12000EH, with a 8.3 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.92 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 4 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 1.18 GPH).
As the XP12000EH has a relatively high THD (<12%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Even if this DuroMax generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, since the XP12000EH bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
With its dimensions of L40 x W29 x H27.5 in, the conventional, open frame design of the DuroMax XP12000EH offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 260 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit and a folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The control panel of the XP12000EH includes a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and a user manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP12000EH, the following accessories are also included: propane hose, tool kit and funnel.
The DuroMax XP12000EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP12000EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP12000EH compare to generators of similar power (between 9000 and 10000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 260 lbs, the DuroMax XP12000EH belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 9000 to 10000 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Rainier R12000DF, standing at just 196 lbs.
- With a lowest noise rating of 72 dBA, the generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the A-iPower SUA12000ED, whose lowest noise levels reach just 69 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the XP12000EH, reaching 9 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen9500, which is able to run for 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.92 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Rainier R12000DF. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.55 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 9000-10000W generators, the DuroMax XP12000EH is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (72 dBA)
- Decent weight (260 lbs)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the DuroMax XP12000EH?
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||457 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||9500 W||8075 W|
|Starting watts||12000 W||10200 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps||67.3/33.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||85/42.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||4 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||8.3 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||40 x 29 x 27.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. While Duromax is still a new face to the power generator market, their products have grown in popularity and can be found in the catalogues of most US retailers.
The DuroMax XP12000EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.