Dual fuel + CO sensor
Gas + CO sensor + New design
Dual fuel + CO sensor + New design
Zoom on the DuroMax XP12000E
In summary, the DuroMax XP12000E is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Homeowners who wish to power almost all appliances in their house under any circumstances
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP12000E is powered by a 457 cc (18 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 9,500W as well as a peak wattage of 12,000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 8.3 gallons, the XP12000E may run for up to 19 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.44 GPH).
The quite high THD (<12%) of the XP12000E makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this DuroMax unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet. Its L5-30R receptacle can also be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. In addition, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP12000E is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The dimensions of the DuroMax XP12000E, which are L30 x W30 x H26 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 217 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The XP12000E and its control panel include a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the DuroMax XP12000E also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP12000E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP12000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP12000E compare to generators of similar power (between 9000 and 10000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the DuroMax XP12000E only weighs in at 217 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 9000-10000 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Rainier R12000DF, weighing just 196 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 74 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 69 dBA.
- As the XP12000E features an autonomy of up to 19 hours at 25% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the DuroMax XP11500EH, which is able to run for up to 20 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.44 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Rainier R12000DF, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.39 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 9000-10000W generators, the DuroMax XP12000E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- 4 different AC outlet types
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (217 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||457 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||9,500 W|
|Starting watts||12,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||19 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||8.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP12000E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7572 W||9047 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7595 W||8185 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||7340 W||11840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.