Zoom on the DuroMax XP12000E
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP12000E is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners and people participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The DuroMax XP12000E's build contains a gasoline-fueled 457 cc (18 hp) DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 9500W and also a peak wattage of 12000W.
At a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 8.3 gallons, the XP12000E may run for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.92 GPH).
The quite high THD (<12%) of the XP12000E makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive of electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
While this DuroMax generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as the XP12000E holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The DuroMax XP12000E has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L40 x W29 x H27.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 255 pounds. Never less, thanks to a wheel kit and a folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The XP12000E's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and a user manual, useful for starting the generator right away, the DuroMax XP12000E's package also includes these accessories: tool kit and funnel.
The DuroMax XP12000E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP12000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP12000E compare to generators of similar power (between 9000 and 10000 W).
- At a weight of 255 pounds, the DuroMax XP12000E places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 9000-10000 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Rainier R12000DF, standing at just 196 lbs.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 72 dBA, this generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the A-iPower SUA12000ED. With just 69 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As for its autonomy, the XP12000E, with an autonomy of 9 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen9500, boasting with 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.92 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Rainier R12000DF, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.55 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 9000-10000W generators, the DuroMax XP12000E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Quiet for its power (72 dBA)
- Decent weight (255 lbs)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the DuroMax XP12000E?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||457 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||9500 W|
|Starting watts||12000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||8.3 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||40 x 29 x 27.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. While Duromax is still a new face to the power generator market, their products have grown in popularity and can be found in the catalogues of most US retailers.
The DuroMax XP12000E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.