Zoom on the DuroMax XP11500EH
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP11500EH is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Homeowners who wish to power almost all appliances in their house under any circumstances
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroMax XP11500EH allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 9,000W and a starting wattage of 11,500W. If propane-powered, it gives 8,550 rated watts and 10,925 starting watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 8.3 gallons, the XP11500EH can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 1.04 GPH), or for around 3 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 1.57 GPH) using propane.
The quite high THD (<12%) of the XP11500EH makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Even if this DuroMax generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, since the XP11500EH bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The design of the DuroMax XP11500EH is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L29 x W30 x H26 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 224 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The control panel of the XP11500EH includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the DuroMax XP11500EH also comes with several accessories, including: funnel, tool kit and propane hose.
The DuroMax XP11500EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP11500EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP11500EH compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 8500 and 9500 W).
- As its dry weight is 224 pounds, the DuroMax XP11500EH is one of the heavier of the dual fuel products which can generate 8500 to 9500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PG12000B with only 205 pounds.
- Since this generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 72 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the A-iPower SUA12000ED with only 69 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 8 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the XP11500EH falls into the low end in comparison with other dual fuel devices of a comparable power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen9500DF, boasting with around 12 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 1.04 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse WGen9500DF, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.55 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8500-9500W dual fuel generators, the DuroMax XP11500EH is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (72 dBA)
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (224 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||457 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||9,000 W||8,550 W|
|Starting watts||11,500 W||10,925 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps||71.3/35.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||95.8/47.9 amps||91/45.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||3 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||8.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP11500EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||7192 W||8667 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||7180 W||7600 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||6870 W||11370 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.