-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 7
Gas + 8000W
Gas + 8500W + CO sensor
Dual fuel + 8000W
Dual fuel + 8000W + CO sensor
Dual fuel + 8500W + CO sensor
Zoom on the DuroMax XP10000DX
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP10000DX is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroMax XP10000DX allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 8,500W and a starting wattage of 10,000W. If propane-powered, it gives 8,075 rated watts and 9,500 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 8.3 gallons, the XP10000DX can operate for up to 22 hours using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.83 GPH), or for up to 8.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.55 GPH) using propane.
Since the XP10000DX has a somewhat high THD (<12%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
This DuroMax generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP10000DX is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The DuroMax XP10000DX has the following dimensions: L29 x W30 x H26 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Since the generator weighs 230 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
To help you monitor the XP10000DX's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
The XP10000DX also benefits from DuroMax’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP10000DX, the following accessories are also included: funnel, propane hose and tool kit.
The DuroMax XP10000DX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP10000DX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP10000DX compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 8000 and 9000 W).
- As its dry weight is 230 pounds, the DuroMax XP10000DX is one of the heavier of the dual fuel products which can generate 8000 to 9000 running watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN9000DF, with a dry weight of only 200 lbs.
- Since this generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 72 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the A-iPower SUA12000ED, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 69 dBA.
- Given that the XP10000DX reaches an autonomy of around 10 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful dual fuel generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman H08053, as it provides around 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.83 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Pulsar PG10000B16, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.55 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8000-9000W dual fuel generators, the DuroMax XP10000DX is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (72 dBA)
- Decent run time
- On the expensive side
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (230 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8,500 W||8,075 W|
|Starting watts||10,000 W||9,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps||67.3/33.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps||79.2/39.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||4.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||22 h||8.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||8.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP10000DX is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6792 W||8292 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||6790 W||7380 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.