Gas + 8000W
Gas + 8500W + CO sensor
Dual fuel + 8000W
Dual fuel + 8000W + CO sensor
Dual fuel + 8500W + CO sensor
Zoom on the DuroMax XP10000DX
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP10000DX is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile DuroMax XP10000DX provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 8,500W along with a peak wattage of 10,000W. While propane-powered, it provides 8,075 rated watts and 9,500 starting watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Regarding its running time, the XP10000DX, with a 8.3 gallons fuel capacity can operate for up to 22 hours with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.83 GPH). When using propane, it can run for up to 8.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.55 GPH).
The XP10000DX is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel features the following 7 AC outlets:
This DuroMax generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, since the XP10000DX bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The design of the DuroMax XP10000DX is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L29 x W30 x H26 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 230 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The XP10000DX's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The XP10000DX also benefits from DuroMax’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP10000DX, the following accessories are also included: funnel, propane hose and tool kit.
The DuroMax XP10000DX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP10000DX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP10000DX compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 8000 and 9000 W).
- With its weight of 230 lbs, the DuroMax XP10000DX is one of the heavier dual fuel generators in the 8000-9000 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN9000DF, with a dry weight of only 200 lbs.
- Since this generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 72 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the A-iPower SUA12000ED, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 69 dBA.
- Offering around 10 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the XP10000DX is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful dual fuel generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar PG10000B16, boasting with around 12 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.83 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Pulsar PG10000B16. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.55 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8000-9000W dual fuel generators, the DuroMax XP10000DX is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Dual Fuel
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- 4 different AC outlet types
- Electric start
- Quiet for its power (72 dBA)
- Decent run time
- On the expensive side
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (230 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8,500 W||8,075 W|
|Starting watts||10,000 W||9,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps||67.3/33.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps||79.2/39.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||4.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||22 h||8.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||8.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP10000DX is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6767 W||8242 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||6780 W||7200 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.