Zoom on the Dewalt DXGNR4000
In summary, the Dewalt DXGNR4000 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Dewalt DXGNR4000 houses a 223 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 4000W along with a peak wattage of 5000W.
Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons, the DXGNR4000 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Even though this Dewalt generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
With its dimensions of L23.7 x W23 x H21.4 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Dewalt DXGNR4000 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 119 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
Monitoring of the DXGNR4000's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The DXGNR4000 also benefits from Dewalt’s CO Protect carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator is automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual to get you promptly started, Dewalt also included some oil in the DXGNR4000's packaging.
The Dewalt DXGNR4000 is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Dewalt DXGNR4000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Dewalt DXGNR4000 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 119 lbs, the Dewalt DXGNR4000 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 10 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the DXGNR4000 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Honda EB4000X, boasting with around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Dewalt DXGNR4000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Protect technology
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (119 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||223 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4000 W|
|Starting watts||5000 W|
|Running amps||33.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.7 x 23 x 21.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Other model numbers||PMC164000|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
DeWalt is a well renowned, US-based, tool and power equipment company, founded in 1922 by Raymon DeWalt. DeWalt is nowadays a subsidiary of the Stanley Black & Decker corporation, owns 7 manufacturing facilities in the US and offers a large selection of products, from screwdrivers to portable generators. DeWalt’s portable generator line consists of conventional, open designs of various outputs, some of which are powered by Honda engines. However, unlike many of their tools, they are apparently not all made in the US.
The Dewalt DXGNR4000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Dewalt generators, please consult Dewalt's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-4-DEWALT (800-433-9258).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3192 W||4692 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3190 W||3780 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.