Zoom on the Dewalt DXGNR4000
In summary, the Dewalt DXGNR4000 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The Dewalt DXGNR4000's build contains a gasoline-fueled 223 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 4000W and also a peak wattage of 5000W.
This generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the DXGNR4000 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
This Dewalt generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The dimensions of the Dewalt DXGNR4000, which are L23.7 x W23 x H21.4 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 119 lbs. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by a wheel kit and a folding handle, with which you can conveniently displace it, once it's on the ground.
One of the many DXGNR4000's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The DXGNR4000 also benefits from Dewalt’s CO Protect carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator is automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Dewalt also included some oil in the DXGNR4000's packaging.
The Dewalt DXGNR4000 is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Dewalt DXGNR4000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Dewalt DXGNR4000 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 119 lbs, the Dewalt DXGNR4000 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- Autonomy-wise, with 10 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the DXGNR4000 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Honda EB4000, with 16 hours .
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Dewalt DXGNR4000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Protect technology
- Decent weight (119 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||223 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4000 W|
|Starting watts||5000 W|
|Running amps||33.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||23.7 x 23 x 21.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
DeWalt is a well renowned, US-based, tool and power equipment company, founded in 1922 by Raymon DeWalt. DeWalt is nowadays a subsidiary of the Stanley Black & Decker corporation, owns 7 manufacturing facilities in the US and offers a large selection of products, from screwdrivers to portable generators. DeWalt’s portable generator line consists of conventional, open designs of various outputs, some of which are powered by Honda engines. However, unlike many of their tools, they are apparently not all made in the US.
The Dewalt DXGNR4000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Dewalt generators, please consult Dewalt's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-4-DEWALT (800-433-9258).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.