Zoom on the Dewalt DXGNi2200
In a nutshell, the Dewalt DXGNi2200 is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Dewalt DXGNi2200's build contains a gasoline-fueled 80 cc Dewalt OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1600W and also a peak wattage of 2200W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1 gallon, the DXGNi2200 may run for up to 11 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.09 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries and a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L21.5 x W13 x H19 in), the Dewalt DXGNi2200, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
The 52.5 lbs of the DXGNi2200's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Furthermore, moving the DXGNi2200 from A to B is made easier thanks a convenient handle (molded in the case), which vastly improves your grip.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and the oil level is too low.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The DXGNi2200 also benefits from Dewalt’s CO Protect carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator is automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside.
Besides the classic documentation and a user manual to get you promptly started, the Dewalt DXGNi2200 also comes with some accessories: oil, battery charging cables and funnel are included.
The Dewalt DXGNi2200 is CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Dewalt DXGNi2200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Dewalt DXGNi2200 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- With a dry weight of 52.5 pounds, the Dewalt DXGNi2200 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 1500 and 2500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN 56202i, standing at just 38.6 lbs.
- Offering 11 hours of running time on a full tank at 25% load, the DXGNi2200 is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides 26 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.09 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Predator 2000 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Dewalt DXGNi2200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Protect technology
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (52.5 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc Dewalt OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||13.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) |
1x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||21.5 x 13 x 19 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
DeWalt is a well renowned, US-based, tool and power equipment company, founded in 1922 by Raymon DeWalt. DeWalt is nowadays a subsidiary of the Stanley Black & Decker corporation, owns 7 manufacturing facilities in the US and offers a large selection of products, from screwdrivers to portable generators. DeWalt’s portable generator line consists of conventional, open designs of various outputs, some of which are powered by Honda engines. However, unlike many of their tools, they are apparently not all made in the US.
The Dewalt DXGNi2200 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Dewalt generators, please consult Dewalt's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-4-DEWALT (800-433-9258).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.