-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 18
Zoom on the Dewalt DXGNi2200
In summary, the Dewalt DXGNi2200 is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Dewalt DXGNi2200 houses a 80 cc Dewalt OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1,700W along with a peak wattage of 2,200W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
At a noise rating of 60 dBA (just as noisy as an office), the inverter generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the DXGNi2200 can operate for up to 11 hours (fuel consumption around 0.09 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1 gallon.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the DXGNi2200 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy and a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Since the Dewalt DXGNi2200 is an inverter generator, its closed design (L21.3 x W10.8 x H17.7 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Weighing just 49 lbs, the DXGNi2200 can be considered a lightweight portable generator. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle (molded in the case), further improving its convenience.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is on overload and the generator is ready.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The DXGNi2200 also benefits from Dewalt’s CO Protect carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator is automatically shut down.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Dewalt DXGNi2200, the following accessories are also included: oil, battery charging cables and funnel.
The Dewalt DXGNi2200 is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Dewalt DXGNi2200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Dewalt DXGNi2200 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 49 lbs, the Dewalt DXGNi2200 belongs in the expected weight range for inverters which can produce between 1500 and 2500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM2000i, with a dry weight of just 34.2 pounds.
- This inverter generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 60 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- As the DXGNi2200 features an autonomy of up to 11 hours at 25% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its type and power range. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the DuroMax XP2300iH, boasting with up to 13 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.09 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the DuroMax XP2300iH. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W inverter generators, the Dewalt DXGNi2200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Protect technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Parallel capable
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (49 lbs)
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (60 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc Dewalt OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,700 W|
|Starting watts||2,200 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle |
1x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||21.3 x 10.8 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||PMC172200|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
DeWalt is a well renowned, US-based, tool and power equipment company, founded in 1922 by Raymon DeWalt. DeWalt is nowadays a subsidiary of the Stanley Black & Decker corporation, owns 7 manufacturing facilities in the US and offers a large selection of products, from screwdrivers to portable generators. DeWalt’s portable generator line consists of conventional, open designs of various outputs, some of which are powered by Honda engines. However, unlike many of their tools, they are apparently not all made in the US and are manufactured under license by Generac.
The Dewalt DXGNi2200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Dewalt generators, please consult Dewalt's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-4-DEWALT (800-433-9258).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1340 W||1930 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Is it linkable to another like generator? (Asked September 20, 2020)
Yes, the unit is parallel ready.
Does this generator feature an internal fuel pump like the equivalent Honda generator, or does it lack a pump like the equivalent Champion generator? I own a champion generator and am considering installing an external fuel tank modification but an opportunity has arisen to purchase a Dewalt generator at a very decent price, but my interest would depend upon whether I can easily add an external tank like I could with a Honda. Thanks in advance! (Asked July 20, 2021)
The unit does not feature an internal pump. Gasoline is gravity-fed.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.