Zoom on the Dewalt DXGNi2200
In a nutshell, the Dewalt DXGNi2200 is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Dewalt DXGNi2200's design includes a gasoline-fueled 80 cc Dewalt OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1700W and also a peak wattage of 2200W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 60 dBA (just as noisy as a normal conversation).
The fuel capacity of 1 gallon allows the DXGNi2200 to operate for up to 11 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.09 GPH).
The DXGNi2200 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy and a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
The Dewalt DXGNi2200 is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L21.3 x W10.8 x H17.7 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Weighing just 49 lbs, the DXGNi2200 can be considered a lightweight portable generator. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. Its handle (molded in the case) allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the oil level is too low, the generator is on overload and the generator is ready.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
The DXGNi2200 also benefits from Dewalt’s CO Protect carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator is automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual to get you promptly started, the Dewalt DXGNi2200 also comes with some accessories: oil, battery charging cables and funnel are included.
The Dewalt DXGNi2200 is CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Dewalt DXGNi2200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Dewalt DXGNi2200 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Dewalt DXGNi2200 has only 49 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Champion 200949, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- As this inverter generator has its lowest possible noise of 60 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- The DXGNi2200, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of up to 11 hours at a 25% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for up to 26 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.09 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Predator 2000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Dewalt DXGNi2200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Protect technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (49 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (60 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc Dewalt OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1700 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle |
1x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||21.3 x 10.8 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||PMC172200|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
DeWalt is a well renowned, US-based, tool and power equipment company, founded in 1922 by Raymon DeWalt. DeWalt is nowadays a subsidiary of the Stanley Black & Decker corporation, owns 7 manufacturing facilities in the US and offers a large selection of products, from screwdrivers to portable generators. DeWalt’s portable generator line consists of conventional, open designs of various outputs, some of which are powered by Honda engines. However, unlike many of their tools, they are apparently not all made in the US and are manufactured under license by Generac.
The Dewalt DXGNi2200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Dewalt generators, please consult Dewalt's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-4-DEWALT (800-433-9258).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1340 W||1930 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Is it linkable to another like generator? (Asked September 20, 2020)
Yes, the unit is parallel ready.
Does this generator feature an internal fuel pump like the equivalent Honda generator, or does it lack a pump like the equivalent Champion generator? I own a champion generator and am considering installing an external fuel tank modification but an opportunity has arisen to purchase a Dewalt generator at a very decent price, but my interest would depend upon whether I can easily add an external tank like I could with a Honda. Thanks in advance! (Asked July 20, 2021)
The unit does not feature an internal pump. Gasoline is gravity-fed.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.