Zoom on the Dewalt DXGNi2200
In summary, the Dewalt DXGNi2200 is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Dewalt DXGNi2200's design includes a gasoline-fueled 80 cc Dewalt OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1700W and also a peak wattage of 2200W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
With a noise rating of 60 dBA (just as noisy as background music), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 1 gallon allows the DXGNi2200 to operate for up to 11 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.09 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the DXGNi2200 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries and a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L21.3 x W10.8 x H17.7 in), the Dewalt DXGNi2200, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Since the DXGNi2200 weighs only 49 lbs, it can be labeled as a portable lightweight generator. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the oil level is too low, the generator is on overload and the generator is ready.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The DXGNi2200 also benefits from Dewalt’s CO Protect carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator is automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Dewalt DXGNi2200, the following accessories are also included: battery charging cables, funnel and oil.
The Dewalt DXGNi2200 is CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Dewalt DXGNi2200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Dewalt DXGNi2200 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As for its weight, the Dewalt DXGNi2200 weighs only 49 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Champion 200949, weighing just 38.6 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest noise of 60 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- As the DXGNi2200 offers up to 11 hours run time on a full tank at a 25% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching up to 26 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.09 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Predator 2000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Dewalt DXGNi2200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Protect technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (49 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (60 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc Dewalt OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1700 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle |
1x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||21.3 x 10.8 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||PMC172200|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
DeWalt is a well renowned, US-based, tool and power equipment company, founded in 1922 by Raymon DeWalt. DeWalt is nowadays a subsidiary of the Stanley Black & Decker corporation, owns 7 manufacturing facilities in the US and offers a large selection of products, from screwdrivers to portable generators. DeWalt’s portable generator line consists of conventional, open designs of various outputs, some of which are powered by Honda engines. However, unlike many of their tools, they are apparently not all made in the US.
The Dewalt DXGNi2200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Dewalt generators, please consult Dewalt's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-4-DEWALT (800-433-9258).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||1355 W||1355 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Is it linkable to another like generator? (Asked September 20, 2020)
Yes, the unit is parallel ready.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.