Zoom on the Dewalt DXGNi2200
In summary, the Dewalt DXGNi2200 is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Dewalt DXGNi2200's core is the 80 cc Dewalt OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1,700W and a peak wattage of 2,200W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 60 dBA (just as noisy as an office). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1 gallon, the DXGNi2200 can operate for up to 11 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.09 GPH).
As the DXGNi2200 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries and a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
The Dewalt DXGNi2200's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L21.3 x W10.8 x H17.7 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Weighing just 49 lbs, the DXGNi2200 can be considered a lightweight portable generator. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. Further convenience is provided by its handle (molded in the case), as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
The device’s light indicators will display if the oil level is too low, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
The DXGNi2200 also benefits from Dewalt’s CO Protect carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator is automatically shut down.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual, useful for starting the generator right away, the Dewalt DXGNi2200's package also includes these accessories: battery charging cables, oil and funnel.
The Dewalt DXGNi2200 is CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Dewalt DXGNi2200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Dewalt DXGNi2200 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As its weight is 49 pounds, the Dewalt DXGNi2200 falls in the expected weight range of the inverters in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM2000i, with a dry weight of only 34.2 lbs.
- As this inverter generator has its lowest possible noise of 60 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- The DXGNi2200 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful inverters, reaching up to 11 hours at 25% load. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the DuroMax XP2300iH, which is able to run for up to 13 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.09 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the DuroMax XP2300iH, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W inverter generators, the Dewalt DXGNi2200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Protect technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Parallel capable
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (49 lbs)
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (60 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc Dewalt OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,700 W|
|Starting watts||2,200 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle
1x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||21.3 x 10.8 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||PMC172200|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
DeWalt is a well renowned, US-based, tool and power equipment company, founded in 1922 by Raymon DeWalt. DeWalt is nowadays a subsidiary of the Stanley Black & Decker corporation, owns 7 manufacturing facilities in the US and offers a large selection of products, from screwdrivers to portable generators. DeWalt’s portable generator line consists of conventional, open designs of various outputs, some of which are powered by Honda engines. However, unlike many of their tools, they are apparently not all made in the US and are manufactured under license by Generac.
The Dewalt DXGNi2200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Dewalt generators, please consult Dewalt's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-4-DEWALT (800-433-9258).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||1355 W||1355 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Is it linkable to another like generator? (Asked September 20, 2020)
Yes, the unit is parallel ready.
Does this generator feature an internal fuel pump like the equivalent Honda generator, or does it lack a pump like the equivalent Champion generator? I own a champion generator and am considering installing an external fuel tank modification but an opportunity has arisen to purchase a Dewalt generator at a very decent price, but my interest would depend upon whether I can easily add an external tank like I could with a Honda. Thanks in advance! (Asked July 20, 2021)
The unit does not feature an internal pump. Gasoline is gravity-fed.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.