Zoom on the Dewalt DXGN14000
In summary, the Dewalt DXGN14000 is a powerful portable generator especially useful for professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure.
Power & Run Time
The Dewalt DXGN14000 houses a 688 cc (20.2 hp) Honda GX630 OHV V-Twin engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 11700W along with a peak wattage of 14000W.
At a noise rating of 83 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an alarm clock), the generator is started via a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The fuel capacity of 10 gallons allows the DXGN14000 to operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 1.25 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the DXGN14000 is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<6%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the DXGN14000 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The design of the Dewalt DXGN14000 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L31.6 x W33.3 x H36.4 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Since the generator weighs 344 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀13") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
A lift hook, which is on the top of the frame, serves as an extra safety feature for the transport, unloading and loading of the device.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Dewalt DXGN14000's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
The Dewalt DXGN14000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Dewalt DXGN14000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Dewalt DXGN14000 compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 14000 W).
- With its weight of 344 lbs, the Dewalt DXGN14000 is one of the heavier generators in the 10000-14000 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, with a dry weight of only 218 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 83 dBA can be judged as noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the A-iPower SUA13000EFI. With just 69 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 8 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the DXGN14000 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Powerhorse 13000ES, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 1.25 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.78 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 10000-14000W generators, the Dewalt DXGN14000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Honda engine
- Electric start
- No data center
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (344 lbs)
- On the noisy side (83 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||688 cc Honda GX630 OHV V-Twin|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||11700 W|
|Starting watts||14000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||97.5/48.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||116.7/58.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Metal, 10 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||31.6 x 33.3 x 36.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||83 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Other model numbers||PD123MHB008|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
DeWalt is a well renowned, US-based, tool and power equipment company, founded in 1922 by Raymon DeWalt. DeWalt is nowadays a subsidiary of the Stanley Black & Decker corporation, owns 7 manufacturing facilities in the US and offers a large selection of products, from screwdrivers to portable generators. DeWalt’s portable generator line consists of conventional, open designs of various outputs, some of which are powered by Honda engines. However, unlike many of their tools, they are apparently not all made in the US.
The Dewalt DXGN14000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Dewalt generators, please consult Dewalt's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-4-DEWALT (800-433-9258).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||9357 W||10832 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||9340 W||9930 W|
|For work||Electric welder||9000||9000|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||9330 W||9330 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.