Zoom on the Dewalt DXGN14000
In summary, the Dewalt DXGN14000 is a powerful portable generator especially useful for professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment.
Power & Run Time
The Dewalt DXGN14000 is powered by a 688 cc (20.2 hp) Honda GX630 OHV V-Twin engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 11700W as well as a peak wattage of 14000W.
At a noise rating of 83 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an alarm clock), the generator is started via a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 10 gallons, the DXGN14000 may run for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 1.25 GPH).
As the DXGN14000 has a relatively high THD (<6%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the DXGN14000 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The design of the Dewalt DXGN14000 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L31.6 x W33.3 x H36.4 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Since the generator weighs 344 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀13") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
A lift hook, which is on the top of the frame, serves as an extra safety feature for the transport, unloading and loading of the device.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Dewalt DXGN14000 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Dewalt DXGN14000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Dewalt DXGN14000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Dewalt DXGN14000 compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 14000 W).
- At a dry weight of 344 pounds, the Dewalt DXGN14000 is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 10000 and 14000 running watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, with a dry weight of only 218 lbs.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 83 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI with only 69 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 8 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the DXGN14000 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Powerhorse 13000ES, as it provides around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 1.25 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.78 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 10000-14000W generators, the Dewalt DXGN14000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Honda engine
- Electric start
- No data center
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (344 lbs)
- On the noisy side (83 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||688 cc Honda GX630 OHV V-Twin|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||11700 W|
|Starting watts||14000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||97.5/48.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||116.7/58.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Metal, 10 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||31.6 x 33.3 x 36.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||83 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Other model numbers||PD123MHB008|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
DeWalt is a well renowned, US-based, tool and power equipment company, founded in 1922 by Raymon DeWalt. DeWalt is nowadays a subsidiary of the Stanley Black & Decker corporation, owns 7 manufacturing facilities in the US and offers a large selection of products, from screwdrivers to portable generators. DeWalt’s portable generator line consists of conventional, open designs of various outputs, some of which are powered by Honda engines. However, unlike many of their tools, they are apparently not all made in the US.
The Dewalt DXGN14000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Dewalt generators, please consult Dewalt's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-4-DEWALT (800-433-9258).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||9342 W||10842 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||9340 W||9930 W|
|For work||Electric welder||9000||9000|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||9330 W||9330 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.