Zoom on the Cummins Onan P9500df
In a nutshell, the Cummins Onan P9500df is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Cummins Onan P9500df delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 7500W and a peak wattage of 9500W. When propane-powered, it has 6750 rated watts and 8550 peak watts.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher). The Onan P9500df can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (key fob included).
The running time of the Onan P9500df, with its 6.6 gallons fuel capacity, can reach up to 16 hours on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.41 GPH). With propane, it can reach up to 8 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.59 GPH).
The quite high THD (<23%) of the Onan P9500df makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
As the Onan P9500df holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
Cummins' Smart Switch Outlet
The Onan P9500df features a special outlet that allows an automatic power transfer in case of a power outage.
To benefit from this feature, you'll need Cummins' Automatic Transfer Switch, which is not included with the generator.
As mentioned further up, since this unit is simply a Westinghouse generator in disguise, you can absolutely use the Westinghouse ST Switch (opens in a new tab) instead. It serves the exact same purpose.
Simply put, the ST Switch is a cost-effective and versatile portable automatic transfer switch, which can be installed quickly and easily, without the assistance of an electrician.
Plug the ST Switch into one of your household 120V outlets, plug your appliances to the ST Switch, and connect the Onan P9500df to the ST Switch via the special outlet and a 120V cord. The generator will automatically turn on when the power goes out, and automatically turn off when the power returns.
With its dimensions of L27.3 x W26.3 x H26.3 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Cummins Onan P9500df offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 194 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
To help you monitor the Onan P9500df's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Cummins Onan P9500df's package also includes these accessories: tool kit, key fob, battery charger, propane hose, oil and funnel.
The Cummins Onan P9500df is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Cummins Onan P9500df versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Cummins Onan P9500df compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- At a weight of 194 pounds, the Cummins Onan P9500df places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 7000-8000 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 74 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Genmax GM9000iE. With just 62 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- With a run time of up to 16 hours at 25% load, the Onan P9500df has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 9500, which is able to run for up to 18.5 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.41 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Predator 9500, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.37 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Cummins Onan P9500df is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Remote start
- Dual Fuel
- Compatible with Westinghouse ST Switch
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (194 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
The Cummins Onan P9500df doesn't have any notably low specs.
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||420 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W||6750 W|
|Starting watts||9500 W||8550 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||56.3/28.1 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps||71.3/35.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||16 h||8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.3 x 26.3 x 26.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charger, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||A058U967|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Cummins is a NYSE publicly traded, Fortune 500 corporation dealing in the power sector and heavy industry. Founded in 1919 in Columbus, IN, by William Glanton Irwin and Clessie Cummings, Cummins focused on the development of diesel engines. However, the company truly came to bloom only after the WWII, with the nationwide road expansion and went finally global in the 1960s, with its heavy-duty trucks. Cummins has, over the years, offered a wide variety of power solutions, from actual power plants to RV generators. Yet, the company has only recently dipped its foot into the portable generator market. The company currently offers a small selection of both conventional and inverter generators under the Onan product line, formerly the Cummins Onan brand.
The Cummins Onan P9500df is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Cummins generators, please contact the Cummins Customer Support: 1-800-CUMMINS (800-286-6467).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5992 W||7492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4880 W||9380 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.