Zoom on the Cummins Onan P9500df
In summary, the Cummins Onan P9500df is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Cummins Onan P9500df provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 7500W along with a peak wattage of 9500W. While propane-powered, it provides 6750 rated watts and 8550 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). The Onan P9500df can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (key fob included).
As for its running time, the Onan P9500df, along with its 6.6 gallons fuel capacity, can run for up to 16 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.41 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 8 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.59 GPH).
As the Onan P9500df has a relatively high THD (<23%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
As the Onan P9500df holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
Cummins' Smart Switch Outlet
The Onan P9500df features a special outlet that allows an automatic power transfer in case of a power outage.
To benefit from this feature, you'll need Cummins' Automatic Transfer Switch, which is not included with the generator.
As mentioned further up, since this unit is simply a Westinghouse generator in disguise, you can absolutely use the Westinghouse ST Switch (opens in a new tab) instead. It serves the exact same purpose.
Simply put, the ST Switch is a cost-effective and versatile portable automatic transfer switch, which can be installed quickly and easily, without the assistance of an electrician.
Plug the ST Switch into one of your household 120V outlets, plug your appliances to the ST Switch, and connect the Onan P9500df to the ST Switch via the special outlet and a 120V cord. The generator will automatically turn on when the power goes out, and automatically turn off when the power returns.
The dimensions of the Cummins Onan P9500df, which are L27.3 x W26.3 x H26.3 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 194 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The Onan P9500df's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Cummins Onan P9500df also is packed along with the following accessories: propane hose, key fob, funnel, tool kit, battery charger and oil.
The Cummins Onan P9500df is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Cummins Onan P9500df versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Cummins Onan P9500df compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- As its weight is 194 pounds, the Cummins Onan P9500df falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 7000-8000 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 74 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the A-iPower SUA8000iSF. With just 65 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 16 hours at 25% load, the Onan P9500df benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 9500, with up to 18.5 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.41 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Predator 9500, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.37 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Cummins Onan P9500df is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Remote start
- Dual Fuel
- Compatible with Westinghouse ST Switch
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (194 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
The Cummins Onan P9500df doesn't have any notably low specs.
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||420 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W||6750 W|
|Starting watts||9500 W||8550 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||56.3/28.1 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps||71.3/35.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||16 h||8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.3 x 26.3 x 26.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charger, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||A058U967|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Cummins is a NYSE publicly traded, Fortune 500 corporation dealing in the power sector and heavy industry. Founded in 1919 in Columbus, IN, by William Glanton Irwin and Clessie Cummings, Cummins focused on the development of diesel engines. However, the company truly came to bloom only after the WWII, with the nationwide road expansion and went finally global in the 1960s, with its heavy-duty trucks. Cummins has, over the years, offered a wide variety of power solutions, from actual power plants to RV generators. Yet, the company has only recently dipped its foot into the portable generator market. The company currently offers a small selection of both conventional and inverter generators under the Onan product line, formerly the Cummins Onan brand.
The Cummins Onan P9500df is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Cummins generators, please contact the Cummins Customer Support: 1-800-CUMMINS (800-286-6467).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5992 W||7092 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4880 W||9380 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.