Zoom on the Cummins Onan P9500df
In a nutshell, the Cummins Onan P9500df is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Cummins Onan P9500df allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 7500W and a starting wattage of 9500W. If propane-powered, it gives 6750 rated watts and 8550 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). To add further convenience, the Onan P9500df can be remotely started (key fob included).
As for its running time, the Onan P9500df, along with its 6.6 gallons fuel capacity, can run for up to 16 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.6 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 8 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.59 GPH).
Since the Onan P9500df has a somewhat high THD (<23%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
As the Onan P9500df holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
Cummins' Smart Switch Outlet
The Onan P9500df features a special outlet that allows an automatic power transfer in case of a power outage.
To benefit from this feature, you'll need Cummins' Automatic Transfer Switch, which is not included with the generator.
As mentioned further up, since this unit is simply a Westinghouse generator in disguise, you can absolutely use the Westinghouse ST Switch (opens in a new tab) instead. It serves the exact same purpose.
Simply put, the ST Switch is a cost-effective and versatile portable automatic transfer switch, which can be installed quickly and easily, without the assistance of an electrician.
Plug the ST Switch into one of your household 120V outlets, plug your appliances to the ST Switch, and connect the Onan P9500df to the ST Switch via the special outlet and a 120V cord. The generator will automatically turn on when the power goes out, and automatically turn off when the power returns.
The Cummins Onan P9500df has the following dimensions: L27.3 x W26.3 x H26.3 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 194 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The Onan P9500df's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Cummins Onan P9500df's package also includes these accessories: oil, battery charger, funnel, propane hose, tool kit and key fob.
The Cummins Onan P9500df is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Cummins Onan P9500df versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Cummins Onan P9500df compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- At a weight of 194 pounds, the Cummins Onan P9500df places in the expected weight range of the dual fuel generators in the 7000-8000 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, weighing just 133 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its type and power range, rated at 74 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Genmax GM9000iED with only 62 dBA.
- As the Onan P9500df offers around 11 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the dual fuel generators of a similar power. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Firman H07552, reaching around 12 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.6 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Pulsar PG10000B16, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.55 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W dual fuel generators, the Cummins Onan P9500df is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Remote start
- Dual Fuel
- Compatible with Westinghouse ST Switch
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (194 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No 50-amp output
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||420 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W||6750 W|
|Starting watts||9500 W||8550 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||56.3/28.1 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps||71.3/35.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||16 h||8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.3 x 26.3 x 26.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charger, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||A058U967|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Cummins is a NYSE publicly traded, Fortune 500 corporation dealing in the power sector and heavy industry. Founded in 1919 in Columbus, IN, by William Glanton Irwin and Clessie Cummings, Cummins focused on the development of diesel engines. However, the company truly came to bloom only after the WWII, with the nationwide road expansion and went finally global in the 1960s, with its heavy-duty trucks. Cummins has, over the years, offered a wide variety of power solutions, from actual power plants to RV generators. Yet, the company has only recently dipped its foot into the portable generator market. The company currently offers a small selection of both conventional and inverter generators under the Onan product line, formerly the Cummins Onan brand.
The Cummins Onan P9500df is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Cummins generators, please contact the Cummins Customer Support: 1-800-CUMMINS (800-286-6467).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5992 W||7492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4880 W||9380 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.