Zoom on the Champion 46597
In a nutshell, the Champion 46597 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
The Champion 46597's engine, 196 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3500W and reaches a peak wattage of 4000W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 3.8 gallons, the 46597 can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.32 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
This Champion generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Champion 46597 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L26.3 x W23.2 x H22.4 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 107.8 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit (⌀8") and a folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The 46597's control center features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and a Volt Guard™ overload protection, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and a user manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 46597, the following accessories are also included: tool kit and funnel.
The Champion 46597 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 46597 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 46597 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 107.8 lbs, the Champion 46597 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 68 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Offering around 12 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the 46597 is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Honda EB4000, with around 16 hours .
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. Standing at an estimated 0.32 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Champion 46597 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Decent weight (107.8 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||196 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.8 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||26.3 x 23.2 x 22.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 46597 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.