Zoom on the Champion 46596
In summary, the Champion 46596 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
The Champion 46596 is powered by a 196 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3,500W as well as a peak wattage of 4,000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 3.8 gallons allows the 46596 to operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.32 GPH).
As the 46596 has a high THD (<20%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The Champion 46596 has the following dimensions: L23.2 x W17.5 x H19.6 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
With a dry weight of 99.2 lbs, the 46596 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
The control panel of the 46596 includes an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 46596 also comes with several accessories, including: funnel and tool kit.
The Champion 46596 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 46596 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 46596 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As its weight is 99.2 pounds, the Champion 46596 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 3000-4000 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO with only 46 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 68 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF with only 52 dBA.
- The 46596, offering a run time of around 12 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.32 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a fuel consumption of 0.22 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Champion 46596 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Decent weight (99.2 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||196 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,500 W|
|Starting watts||4,000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 17.5 x 19.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 46596 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2760 W||3350 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Do u need to keep generator running all times to supply power (Asked November 01, 2023)
The unit will only supply power when running.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.