Zoom on the Champion 42436
In a nutshell, the Champion 42436 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 42436's build contains a gasoline-fueled 80 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1200W and also a peak wattage of 1500W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music).
With a fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon, the 42436 may run for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming AC outlet:
The Champion 42436 has the following dimensions: L17.8 x W14 x H14.8 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The 42436's dry weight of 52.9 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and displaced.
To help you monitor the 42436's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Along the basic documentation and a user manual, useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 42436's package also includes these accessories: funnel and tool kit.
The Champion 42436 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 42436 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 42436 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- At a dry weight of 52.9 pounds, the Champion 42436 is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 500 and 1500 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, standing at just 20.3 lbs.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 65 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU1000i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 42 dBA.
- As the 42436 features an autonomy of 10 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar PG2000, boasting with 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Ryobi RYi1000, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Champion 42436 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- Only 1 AC outlet
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (52.9 lbs)
Where to buy the Champion 42436?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||80 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1200 W|
|Starting watts||1500 W|
|Running amps||10 amps|
|Peaks amps||12.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||17.8 x 14 x 14.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 42436 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.