Zoom on the Champion 42436
In summary, the Champion 42436 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 42436 houses a 80 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1200W along with a peak wattage of 1500W.
At a noise rating of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), the generator offers the possibility to start the device via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon, the 42436 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming AC outlet:
The Champion 42436 has the following dimensions: L17.8 x W14 x H14.8 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
The 52.9 lbs of the 42436's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
To help you monitor the 42436's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and a user manual, which lets you start it right away, the Champion 42436 also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit and funnel.
The Champion 42436 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 42436 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 42436 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- A weight of 52.9 lbs makes the Champion 42436 one of the heavier devices in the 500-1500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of just 20.3 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 65 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU1000i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 42 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 10 hours at 50% load, the 42436 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Pulsar PG2000, with around 12 hours .
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Ryobi RYi1000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Champion 42436 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- Only 1 AC outlet
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (52.9 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||80 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1200 W|
|Starting watts||1500 W|
|Running amps||10 amps|
|Peaks amps||12.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||17.8 x 14 x 14.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 42436 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.