Gas + Manual start
Gas + Remote start
Dual fuel + Electric start
Dual fuel + Electric start + CO sensor
Zoom on the Champion 201351
In a nutshell, the Champion 201351 is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 201351 houses a 224 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 4,000W along with a peak wattage of 5,500W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be increased when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 61 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 3.7 gallons, the 201351 can operate for up to 20 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.19 GPH). Thanks to the Fuel Fill Assist LED, an ingenious LED located near the fuel cap, filling up the unit’s tank is highly facilitated in poor lighting conditions. The LED can illuminate the gasoline filling area simply by pushing a button.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 201351 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
As the Champion 201351 is an inverter generator, its encased design (L24.6 x W19 x H20.9 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 109.1 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the 201351's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital Intelligauge data center, giving you information on the voltage, power output, frequency and lifetime run hours. To offer you even more control and easy operation during nighttime, the panel is LED-lit.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 201351 also comes with several accessories, including: oil and funnel. The official storage cover and running cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Champion 201351 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
In addition, the unit meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Champion 201351 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201351 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- At a weight of 109.1 pounds, the Champion 201351 places in the expected weight range of the inverter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM4600iAEFIC, with a dry weight of only 58.4 lbs.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its type and power category, as it is rated at 61 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- With a run time of up to 20 hours at 25% load, the 201351 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman W03661OF, as it provides up to 25 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.19 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Champion 200988, with a fuel consumption of 0.16 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 3500-4500W inverter generators, the Champion 201351 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Illuminated control panel
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Fuel Fill Assist LED
- High run time
- Decent weight (109.1 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (61 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Yes, cable not included
|224 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Power output, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|24.6 x 19 x 20.9 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018
|Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring
|Oil and funnel
|Country of origin
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201351 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Cell phone charger
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.