Zoom on the Champion 201322
In a nutshell, the Champion 201322 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Champion 201322 allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 4,250W and a starting wattage of 5,300W. If propane-powered, it gives 3,825 rated watts and 4,780 starting watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music), this generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
As for its running time, the 201322, along with its 4.7 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 14 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 10.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.45 GPH).
The quite high THD (<20%) of the 201322 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
This Champion generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Champion 201322 has the following dimensions: L24.8 x W24.8 x H22.4 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 114 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The 201322's control center features an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 201322 also comes with several accessories, including: funnel, propane hose and oil.
The Champion 201322 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The unit also meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Champion 201322 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201322 compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- At a weight of 114 pounds, the Champion 201322 places in the expected weight range of the dual fuel generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN DF402iX, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 68 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar type and power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- With a run time of around 14 hours at 50% load, the 201322 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, as it provides around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.23 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel generators, the Champion 201322 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- High run time
- Decent weight (114 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4,250 W||3,825 W|
|Starting watts||5,300 W||4,780 W|
|Running amps||35.4 amps||31.9 amps|
|Peak amps||44.2 amps||39.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.8 x 24.8 x 22.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Compliance||CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201322 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3362 W||4362 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||3380 W||3800 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2530 W||5230 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.