Zoom on the Champion 201322
In summary, the Champion 201322 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Champion 201322 allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 4,250W and a starting wattage of 5,300W. If propane-powered, it gives 3,825 rated watts and 4,780 starting watts.
With a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
As for its running time, the 201322, along with its 4.7 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 14 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 10.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.45 GPH).
The 201322 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its high THD (<20%).
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The dimensions of the Champion 201322, which are L24.8 x W24.8 x H22.4 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 114 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The 201322 and its control panel include an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 201322 also comes with several accessories, including: propane hose, funnel and oil.
The Champion 201322 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The unit also meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Champion 201322 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201322 compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 114 lbs, the Champion 201322 belongs in the expected weight range for dual fuel generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN DF402iX with only 66.1 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 68 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- The 201322 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful dual fuel devices, reaching around 14 hours at 50% load. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, reaching around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, with a fuel consumption of 0.23 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel generators, the Champion 201322 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- High run time
- Decent weight (114 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)
|224 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Steel, 4.7 gal
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|24.8 x 24.8 x 22.4 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018
|Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection, CO monitoring
|Oil, funnel, propane hose, and wheel kit
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201322 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.