Gas + Remote start
Dual fuel + Electric start
Dual fuel + Electric start + CO sensor
Zoom on the Champion 201273
In summary, the Champion 201273 is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 201273 delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 4,000W and a peak wattage of 5,500W. When propane-powered, it has 3,600 rated watts and 5,500 peak watts. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
At a noise rating of 61 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), this inverter generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
As for its running time, the 201273, along with its 3.7 gallons fuel capacity, can run for up to 20 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.19 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 15 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.31 GPH). Thanks to the Fuel Fill Assist LED, an ingenious LED located near the fuel cap, filling up the unit’s tank is highly facilitated in poor lighting conditions. The LED can illuminate the gasoline filling area simply by pushing a button.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 201273 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
This Champion generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
As the Champion 201273 is an inverter generator, its encased design (L24.6 x W19 x H20.9 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 121.5 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the 201273's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital Intelligauge data center, giving you information on the power output, voltage, lifetime run hours and frequency. To offer you even more control and easy operation during nighttime, the panel is LED-lit.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 201273 also comes with several accessories, including: oil, funnel and propane hose. The official storage cover and running cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Champion 201273 is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
In addition, the unit meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Champion 201273 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201273 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- At a dry weight of 121.5 pounds, the Champion 201273 is one of the heavier inverters which can produce between 3500 and 4500 running watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- As this inverter generator can emit noise as low as 61 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Westinghouse iGen4500DF. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 20 hours at 25% load, the 201273 benefits from a higher run time than many inverter generators of a similar output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Firman W03661OF, which is able to run for up to 25 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.19 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Champion 200988, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.16 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
The bottom line
- Dual Fuel
- Illuminated control panel
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Fuel Fill Assist LED
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (61 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- On the heavy side (121.5 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||4,000 W||3,600 W|
|Starting watts||5,500 W||5,500 W|
|Running amps||33.3 amps||30 amps|
|Peak amps||45.8 amps||45.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||20 h||15 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Fuel tank||3.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.6 x 19 x 20.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||61 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose, and battery|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201273 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3192 W||4692 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3190 W||3780 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2780 W||5480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.