Zoom on the Champion 201223
In summary, the Champion 201223 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
Power & Run Time
The Champion 201223 delivers 120V and benefits from a tri-fuel technology that allows it to run on gasoline, propane, or natural gas. When gasoline-powered, it enjoys a running wattage of 4,000W and a peak wattage of 5,000W. When propane-powered, it benefits from 3,600 rated watts and 4,500 peak watts. Its natural gas operation offers 3,240W of rated wattage and 4,050W of starting wattage.
Enjoying a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music), this generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 5 gallons, the 201223 can operate for around 14 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH), or for around 10.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.45 GPH) using propane.
The quite high THD (<20%) of the 201223 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The design of the Champion 201223 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L24.6 x W25 x H22.2 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 128 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The 201223's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 201223 also comes with several accessories, including: natural gas hose with NPT adapter, propane hose, funnel and oil.
The Champion 201223 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
In addition, the unit meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Champion 201223 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201223 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- At a weight of 128 pounds, the Champion 201223 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 68 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Westinghouse iGen4500DF. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As the 201223 features an autonomy of around 14 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4500DF. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.23 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 201223 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- High run time
- Decent weight (128 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Tri-Fuel (gasoline/propane/natural gas)|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4,000 W||3,600 W||3,240 W|
|Starting watts||5,000 W||4,500 W||4,050 W|
|Running amps||33.3 amps||30 amps||27 amps|
|Peak amps||41.7 amps||37.5 amps||33.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h||10.5 h||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.6 x 25 x 22.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Compliance||EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, natural gas hose with NPT adapter, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201223 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3167 W||4167 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3185 W||3605 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.