Zoom on the Champion 201194
In a nutshell, the Champion 201194 is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Small homeowners in search of a full power backup solution
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 201194 delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 9,200W and a peak wattage of 11,500W. When propane-powered, it has 8,280 rated watts and 10,350 peak watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The 201194, with a fuel capacity of 7.7 gallons, reaches a run time of around 10 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.77 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH) with propane.
The 201194 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its high THD (<20%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this Champion unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet. In addition, as the 201194 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The Champion 201194 has the following dimensions: L28.9 x W28 x H26.2 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 209.4 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
A digital Intelligauge data center, one of the features of the 201194's control panel, gives you information on the voltage, frequency and lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 201194 also is packed along with the following accessories: oil, propane hose and funnel.
The Champion 201194 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 201194 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201194 compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 8500 and 9500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Champion 201194 stands at only 209.4 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter dual fuel devices of the 8500-9500 rated wattage category If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Rainier R12000DF with only 196 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its type and power range, rated at 74 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the A-iPower SUA12000ED with only 69 dBA.
- With a run time of around 10 hours at 50% load, the 201194 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar G12KBN, boasting with around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.77 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Rainier R12000DF, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.55 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8500-9500W dual fuel generators, the Champion 201194 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (209.4 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- On the expensive side
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||459 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||9,200 W||8,280 W|
|Starting watts||11,500 W||10,350 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||76.7/38.3 amps||69/34.5 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||95.8/47.9 amps||86.3/43.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Fuel tank||7.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.9 x 28 x 26.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201194 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7342 W||8817 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||7330 W||7750 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||6870 W||11370 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.