Zoom on the Champion 201194
In a nutshell, the Champion 201194 is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Prudent homeowners who want a backup power source in case of a power outage
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Champion 201194 provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 9200W along with a peak wattage of 11500W. While propane-powered, it provides 8280 rated watts and 10350 starting watts.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower).
With a fuel capacity of 7.7 gallons, the 201194 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.77 GPH), or for around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH) using propane.
Since the 201194 has a somewhat high THD (<20%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this Champion unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet. In addition, since the 201194 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The dimensions of the Champion 201194, which are L28.9 x W28 x H26.2 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 209.4 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
To help you monitor the 201194's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital Intelligauge data center, giving you information on the voltage, frequency and lifetime run hours.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 201194's package also includes these accessories: funnel, propane hose and oil.
The Champion 201194 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 201194 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201194 compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 8500 and 9500 W).
- As for its weight, the Champion 201194 weighs only 209.4 pounds, making it one of the lighter dual fuel generators in the 8500-9500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar PG12000B, with a dry weight of only 205 lbs.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 74 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the A-iPower SUA12000ED with only 69 dBA.
- As the 201194 offers around 10 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the dual fuel generators of a similar power. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen9500DF, reaching around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.77 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse WGen9500DF. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.55 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8500-9500W dual fuel generators, the Champion 201194 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (209.4 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||459 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||9200 W||8280 W|
|Starting watts||11500 W||10350 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||76.7/38.3 amps||69/34.5 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||95.8/47.9 amps||86.3/43.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Fuel tank||7.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.9 x 28 x 26.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201194 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||7342 W||8842 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||7340 W||7930 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||6870 W||11370 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.