-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 6
Zoom on the Champion 201176
In summary, the Champion 201176 is a powerful portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 201176 delivers 120/240V and benefits from a tri-fuel technology that allows it to run on gasoline, propane, or natural gas. When gasoline-powered, it enjoys a running wattage of 7,250W and a peak wattage of 9,000W. When propane-powered, it benefits from 6,525 rated watts and 9,000 peak watts. Its natural gas operation offers 5,875W of rated wattage and 9,000W of starting wattage.
With a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The 201176, with a fuel capacity of 4.3 gallons, reaches a run time of up to 14 hours utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.31 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of up to 12 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.39 GPH) with propane.
As the 201176 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this Champion unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet. In addition, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 201176 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L26.6 x W25.5 x H25.4 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 201176 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 156.6 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its set of wheels (⌀8") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the 201176's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital Intelligauge data center, giving you information on the frequency, voltage, power output and lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 201176, the following accessories are also included: funnel, dual port USB adapter, natural gas hose with NPT adapter, propane hose and oil. The official storage cover and running cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Champion 201176 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
In addition, the unit meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Champion 201176 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201176 compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 201176 only weighs in at 156.6 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 6500-7500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF with only 133 pounds.
- Because this inverter generator emits noise as low as 72 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Powerhorse 7500i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 55 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the 201176, with an autonomy of up to 14 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the DuroMax XP8500EH, with up to 25 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.31 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the DuroMax XP7500DX, with a fuel consumption of 0.29 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W inverter generators, the Champion 201176 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (156.6 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Tri-Fuel (gasoline/propane/natural gas)|
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7,250 W||6,525 W||5,875 W|
|Starting watts||9,000 W||9,000 W||9,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||60.4/30.2 amps||54.4/27.2 amps||49/24.5 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps||75/37.5 amps||75/37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||14 h||12 h||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Fuel tank||4.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.6 x 25.5 x 25.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Compliance||EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, natural gas hose with NPT adapter, propane hose, dual port USB adapter, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201176 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5797 W||7297 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||5790 W||6380 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||4480 W||8980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.