Zoom on the Champion 201169
In summary, the Champion 201169 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 201169 delivers 120/240V and benefits from a tri-fuel technology that allows it to run on gasoline, propane, or natural gas. When gasoline-powered, it enjoys a running wattage of 6,500W and a peak wattage of 8,125W. When propane-powered, it benefits from 6,000 rated watts and 7,500 peak watts. Its natural gas operation offers 5,500W of rated wattage and 6,875W of starting wattage.
At a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
As for its running time, the 201169, along with its 8.5 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.71 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 6.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.72 GPH).
The 201169 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its high THD (<20%).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
As the 201169 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Champion 201169, which are L28.7 x W27.5 x H26.1 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 195.1 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The 201169's control center features an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 201169 also is packed along with the following accessories: natural gas hose with NPT adapter, propane hose, funnel and oil.
The Champion 201169 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 201169 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201169 compare to generators of similar power (between 6000 and 7000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 195.1 lbs, the Champion 201169 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 6000 to 7000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar PGDA70BiSCO, with a dry weight of only 118 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 74 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Powerhorse 7500i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 55 dBA.
- As the 201169 features an autonomy of around 12 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen6000, with around 13 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.71 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the A-iPower SUA7000L. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.36 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6000-7000W generators, the Champion 201169 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Decent weight (195.1 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Tri-Fuel (gasoline/propane/natural gas)|
|Engine||389 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6,500 W||6,000 W||5,500 W|
|Starting watts||8,125 W||7,500 W||6,875 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps||50/25 amps||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||67.7/33.9 amps||62.5/31.3 amps||57.3/28.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h||6.5 h||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||8.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.7 x 27.5 x 26.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, natural gas hose with NPT adapter, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201169 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5192 W||6692 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5195 W||5785 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||3480 W||7980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.