Zoom on the Champion 201160
In summary, the Champion 201160 is a powerful portable generator especially useful for professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 201160 is powered by a 717 cc V-Twin engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 12,000W as well as a peak wattage of 15,000W.
The generator features a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 78 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher).
The fuel capacity of 11 gallons allows the 201160 to operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 1.22 GPH).
The 201160 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its high THD (<20%).
The control panel features the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
While this Champion generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 201160 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L33 x W33.7 x H33.1 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 201160 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 328.7 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀12") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
A lift hook located on the top of the frame offers an additional safety feature while facilitating the transport, loading and unloading of the generator.
A digital Intelligauge data center, one of the features of the 201160's control panel, gives you information on the power output, frequency, lifetime run hours and voltage, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 201160 also comes with several accessories, including: oil and funnel.
The Champion 201160 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
In addition, the unit meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Champion 201160 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201160 compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 14000 W).
- A weight of 328.7 lbs makes the Champion 201160 one of the heavier devices in the 10000-14000 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI with only 218 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 78 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the DuroMax XP16000iH, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 67 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the 201160, with an autonomy of around 9 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Powerhorse 13000ES, with around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank's capacity and thus, doesn't say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 1.22 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, with a fuel consumption of 0.78 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 10000-14000W generators, the Champion 201160 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- 4 different AC outlet types
- Electric start
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (328.7 lbs)
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|717 cc V-Twin
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Power output, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency
|Steel, 11 gal
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|33 x 33.7 x 33.1 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018
|Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection, CO monitoring
|Bonded to frame
|Oil, funnel, battery, and wheel kit
|Country of origin
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201160 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Electric fence (25 miles)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.