Gas + EZ Start Dial
Gas + USB ports
Gas +Data center + CO sensor
Dual fuel + USB ports (Yellow)
Dual fuel + USB ports (Black)
Dual fuel + USB ports + CO sensor
Zoom on the Champion 201153
In a nutshell, the Champion 201153 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
The Champion 201153 is powered by a 79 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 1,850W as well as a peak wattage of 2,500W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
The 201153 can operate for up to 11.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon.
The 201153 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Since the Champion 201153 is an inverter generator, its closed design (L17.3 x W11.5 x H17.7 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
Since the 201153 weighs only 38.8 lbs, it can be labeled as a portable lightweight generator. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. Its handle (molded in the case) allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
The control panel of the 201153 includes a digital Intelligauge data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours, voltage, power output and frequency.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 201153 also comes with several accessories, including: oil, funnel and dual port USB adapter.
The Champion 201153 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The unit also meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Champion 201153 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201153 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 201153 only weighs in at 38.8 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter inverter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM2000i, with a dry weight of only 34.2 lbs.
- Because this inverter generator emits noise as low as 53 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- Since the 201153 boasts with a run time of up to 11.5 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most inverter generators of a comparable output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the DuroMax XP2300iH, which is able to run for up to 13 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the DuroMax XP2300iH is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W inverter generators, the Champion 201153 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (38.8 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (53 dBA)
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,850 W|
|Starting watts||2,500 W|
|Running amps||15.4 amps|
|Peak amps||20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.3 x 11.5 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Compliance||CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and dual port USB adapter|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201153 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1462 W||2462 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1470 W||1470 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.