Gas + EZ Start Dial
Gas + USB ports
Gas +Data center + CO sensor
Dual fuel + USB ports (Yellow)
Dual fuel + USB ports (Black)
Dual fuel + USB ports + CO sensor
Zoom on the Champion 201153
In a nutshell, the Champion 201153 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
The Champion 201153's design includes a gasoline-fueled 79 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1850W and also a peak wattage of 2500W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a refrigerator). Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon, the 201153 can operate for up to 11.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH).
The 201153 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Since the Champion 201153 is an inverter generator, its closed design (L17.3 x W11.5 x H17.7 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Weighing just 38.8 lbs, the 201153 can be considered a lightweight portable generator. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
Monitoring of the 201153's status and activity is made possible by a digital Intelligauge data center, which provides information on the voltage, frequency, power output and lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 201153's package also includes these accessories: oil, dual port USB adapter and funnel.
The Champion 201153 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The unit also meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Champion 201153 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201153 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 201153 only weighs in at 38.8 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter inverter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM2000i, with a dry weight of just 34.2 pounds.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its type and power category, as it is rated at 53 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- As the 201153 features an autonomy of up to 11.5 hours at 25% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its type and power range. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the DuroMax XP2300iH, boasting with up to 13 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the DuroMax XP2300iH, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W inverter generators, the Champion 201153 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (38.8 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (53 dBA)
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1850 W|
|Starting watts||2500 W|
|Running amps||15.4 amps|
|Peak amps||20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.3 x 11.5 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Compliance||CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and dual port USB adapter|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201153 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1462 W||2462 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1460 W||2050 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.