Zoom on the Champion 201122
The Champion 201122 is the newer version of the 100899. It's a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 201122 delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 1850W and a peak wattage of 2500W. When propane-powered, it has 1665 rated watts and 2500 peak watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than rainfall). Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
As for its running time, the 201122, along with its 1.1 gallon fuel capacity, can run for up to 11.5 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 34 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.14 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 201122 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L17.3 x W11.5 x H17.7 in), the Champion 201122, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the 201122 weighs just 39 lbs. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. Its handle (molded in the case) allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
A light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 201122 also comes with several accessories, including: oil, funnel and propane hose.
The Champion 201122 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 201122 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201122 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Champion 201122 stands at only 39 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 1500-2500 rated wattage category In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM2000i, standing at just 34.2 lbs.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 53 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- With a run time of up to 11.5 hours at 25% load, the 201122 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Yamaha EF2800i, reaching up to 14.7 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV2200P, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Champion 201122 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight (39 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1850 W||1665 W|
|Starting watts||2500 W||2500 W|
|Running amps||15.4 amps||13.9 amps|
|Peak amps||20.8 amps||20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11.5 h||34 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.3 x 11.5 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Compliance||CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201122 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1462 W||2462 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1460 W||2050 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.