Gas + EZ Start Dial
Gas + USB ports
Gas +Data center + CO sensor
Dual fuel + USB ports (Yellow)
Dual fuel + USB ports (Black)
Dual fuel + USB ports + CO sensor
Zoom on the Champion 201122
The Champion 201122 is the newer version of the 100899. It's a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 201122 delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 1,850W and a peak wattage of 2,500W. When propane-powered, it has 1,665 rated watts and 2,500 peak watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than rainfall). Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
With a fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon, the 201122 can operate for up to 11.5 hours using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH), or for up to 34 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.14 GPH) using propane.
The 201122 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
As the Champion 201122 is an inverter generator, its encased design (L17.3 x W11.5 x H17.7 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Weighing just 39 lbs, the 201122 can be considered a lightweight portable generator. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
When its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 201122's package also includes these accessories: propane hose, funnel and oil. The official storage cover and running cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Champion 201122 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The unit also meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Champion 201122 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201122 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Champion 201122 has only 39 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter inverter generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM2000i, weighing just 34.2 pounds.
- As this inverter generator can emit noise as low as 53 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 11.5 hours at 25% load, the 201122 benefits from a higher run time than many inverter generators of a similar output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the DuroMax XP2300iH, with up to 13 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the DuroMax XP2300iH, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W dual fuel inverter generators, the Champion 201122 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (39 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (53 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1,850 W||1,665 W|
|Starting watts||2,500 W||2,500 W|
|Running amps||15.4 amps||13.9 amps|
|Peak amps||20.8 amps||20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11.5 h||34 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.3 x 11.5 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Compliance||CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201122 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1462 W||2462 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1470 W||1470 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.