Zoom on the Champion 201083
In summary, the Champion 201083 is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Champion 201083 provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 8,500W along with a peak wattage of 10,625W. While propane-powered, it provides 7,650 rated watts and 9,565 starting watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Regarding its running time, the 201083, with a 7.7 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.77 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH).
As the 201083 has a high THD (<20%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Even though this Champion generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, because the 201083 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The Champion 201083 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L28.9 x W27.7 x H26.1 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 209.4 pounds. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the 201083's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 201083's package also includes these accessories: propane hose, funnel and oil.
The Champion 201083 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The unit also meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Champion 201083 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201083 compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 8000 and 9000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Champion 201083 weighs just 209.4 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 8000 to 9000 rated wattage dual fuel generators. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN9000DF, weighing just 200 pounds.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 74 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the A-iPower SUA12000ED, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 69 dBA.
- As the 201083 offers around 10 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the dual fuel generators of a similar power. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Pulsar PG10000B16, as it provides around 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.77 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Pulsar PG10000B16, with a fuel consumption of 0.55 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8000-9000W dual fuel generators, the Champion 201083 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (209.4 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||459 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8,500 W||7,650 W|
|Starting watts||10,625 W||9,565 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps||63.8/31.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||88.5/44.3 amps||79.7/39.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.9 x 27.7 x 26.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Compliance||CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201083 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6792 W||8292 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||6790 W||7380 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||6060 W||10560 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.