-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 8
Zoom on the Champion 201083
In summary, the Champion 201083 is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Champion 201083 provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 8,500W along with a peak wattage of 10,625W. While propane-powered, it provides 7,650 rated watts and 9,565 starting watts.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher).
The 201083, with a fuel capacity of 7.7 gallons, reaches a run time of around 10 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.77 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH) with propane.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the 201083 is not recommended due to its high THD (<20%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
This Champion generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, as the 201083 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L28.9 x W27.7 x H26.1 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 201083 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 209.4 lbs. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The control panel of the 201083 includes an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 201083 also is packed along with the following accessories: propane hose, oil and funnel.
The Champion 201083 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The unit also meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Champion 201083 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201083 compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 8000 and 9000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Champion 201083 has only 209.4 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter dual fuel generators which produce 8000 to 9000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN9000DF with only 200 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its type and power category, as it is rated at 74 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the A-iPower SUA12000ED, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 69 dBA.
- Given that the 201083 reaches an autonomy of around 10 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful dual fuel generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Pulsar PG10000B16, as it provides around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. As this generator uses an estimated 0.77 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PG10000B16, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.55 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8000-9000W dual fuel generators, the Champion 201083 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (209.4 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||459 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8,500 W||7,650 W|
|Starting watts||10,625 W||9,565 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps||63.8/31.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||88.5/44.3 amps||79.7/39.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.9 x 27.7 x 26.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Compliance||CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201083 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6767 W||8242 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||6780 W||7200 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||6060 W||10560 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.