Zoom on the Champion 201083
In summary, the Champion 201083 is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Champion 201083 provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 8500W along with a peak wattage of 10625W. While propane-powered, it provides 7650 rated watts and 9565 starting watts.
With a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The running time of the 201083, with its 7.7 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 10 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.77 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH).
Since the 201083 has a somewhat high THD (<20%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Even if this Champion generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, as the 201083 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Champion 201083, which are L28.9 x W27.7 x H26.1 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 209.4 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The 201083's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 201083 also comes with several accessories, including: propane hose, oil and funnel.
The Champion 201083 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 201083 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201083 compare to generators of similar power (between 8000 and 9000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Champion 201083 has only 209.4 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 8000 to 9000 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Dewalt DXGNR8000, standing at just 183 lbs.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 74 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the A-iPower SUA12000ED. With just 69 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Given that the 201083 reaches an autonomy of around 10 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 100416, as it provides around 12.5 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.77 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse WPro8500, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.55 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
The bottom line
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (209.4 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||459 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8500 W||7650 W|
|Starting watts||10625 W||9565 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps||63.8/31.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||88.5/44.3 amps||79.7/39.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.9 x 27.7 x 26.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201083 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6792 W||8292 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||6790 W||7380 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||6060 W||10560 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.