Zoom on the Champion 201083
In summary, the Champion 201083 is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 201083 delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 8500W and a peak wattage of 10625W. When propane-powered, it has 7650 rated watts and 9565 peak watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
Regarding its running time, the 201083, with a 7.7 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.77 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH).
Since the 201083 has a somewhat high THD (<20%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Even if this Champion generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, since the 201083 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
With its dimensions of L28.9 x W27.7 x H26.1 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 201083 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 209.4 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The 201083's control center features an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 201083 also is packed along with the following accessories: propane hose, funnel and oil.
The Champion 201083 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 201083 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201083 compare to generators of similar power (between 8000 and 9000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 201083 only weighs in at 209.4 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 8000-9000 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Dewalt DXGNR8000, weighing just 183 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 74 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the A-iPower SUA12000ED, whose lowest noise levels reach just 69 dBA.
- As the 201083 offers around 10 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 100416, as it provides around 12.5 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.77 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PG10000B16, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.55 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8000-9000W generators, the Champion 201083 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (209.4 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||459 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8500 W||7650 W|
|Starting watts||10625 W||9565 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps||63.8/31.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||88.5/44.3 amps||79.7/39.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.9 x 27.7 x 26.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201083 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6767 W||8242 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||6780 W||7200 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||6060 W||10560 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.