Zoom on the Champion 201066
In a nutshell, the Champion 201066 is a portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 201066's design includes a gasoline-fueled 301 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 5,250W and also a peak wattage of 6,500W.
With a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4.3 gallons, the 201066 can operate for up to 13.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.32 GPH).
The 201066 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready. In addition, since the 201066 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The Champion 201066 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L26.6 x W25.5 x H24.6 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Since the generator weighs 123.2 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its set of wheels (⌀8") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the 201066's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital Intelligauge data center, giving you information on the power output, frequency, lifetime run hours and voltage.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when its oil levels are insufficient.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 201066, the following accessories are also included: dual port USB adapter, oil and funnel.
The Champion 201066 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The unit also meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Champion 201066 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201066 compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Champion 201066 stands at only 123.2 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 4500-5500 rated wattage category In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN5600, standing at just 103.6 lbs.
- This inverter generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 69 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU7000iS. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 13.5 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the 201066 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the DuroMax XP5500EH, with up to 19 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.32 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the DuroMax XP5500EH, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.21 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 4500-5500W inverter generators, the Champion 201066 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (123.2 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|301 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Power output, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|26.6 x 25.5 x 24.6 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018
|Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring
|Bonded to frame
|Oil, funnel, dual port USB adapter, and wheel kit
|Country of origin
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201066 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Electric fence (25 miles)
what make is the gasoline engine? (Asked October 19, 2022)
The engine is manufactured by Rato.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.