-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 23
Zoom on the Champion 201066
In summary, the Champion 201066 is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the following paragraphs, we shall explore the power characteristics, available outlets, portability, and any additional features of the device, along with its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 201066's engine, 301 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 5,250W and reaches a peak wattage of 6,500W.
With a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 4.3 gallons, the 201066 may run for up to 13.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.32 GPH).
The 201066 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready. In addition, since the 201066 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The design of the Champion 201066 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L26.6 x W25.5 x H24.6 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 123.2 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its set of wheels (⌀8") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
One of the many 201066's features is the Intelligauge data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the voltage, frequency, lifetime run hours and power output and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 201066's package also includes these accessories: funnel, oil and dual port USB adapter.
The Champion 201066 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The unit also meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Champion 201066 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201066 compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As for its weight, the Champion 201066 weighs only 123.2 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN5600 with only 103.6 pounds.
- As this inverter generator can emit noise as low as 69 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the 201066, reaching up to 13.5 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the DuroMax XP5500E, which is able to run for up to 19 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.32 GPH. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the DuroMax XP5500E, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.21 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W inverter generators, the Champion 201066 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (123.2 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||301 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5,250 W|
|Starting watts||6,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||43.8/21.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||13.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Fuel tank||4.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.6 x 25.5 x 24.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Compliance||CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, dual port USB adapter, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201066 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4187 W||5662 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||4180 W||4600 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3780 W||6480 W|
what make is the gasoline engine? (Asked October 19, 2022)
The engine is manufactured by Rato.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.