Zoom on the Champion 201066
In summary, the Champion 201066 is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Champion 201066 is powered by a 301 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5,250W as well as a peak wattage of 6,500W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 4.3 gallons, the 201066 may run for up to 13.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.32 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 201066 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
This Champion generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'). In addition, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 201066 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Champion 201066, which are L26.6 x W25.5 x H24.6 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 123.2 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its set of wheels (⌀8") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
A digital Intelligauge data center, one of the features of the 201066's control panel, gives you information on the power output, voltage, lifetime run hours and frequency, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 201066, the following accessories are also included: oil, dual port USB adapter and funnel.
The Champion 201066 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The unit also meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Champion 201066 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201066 compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Champion 201066 stands at only 123.2 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 4500-5500 rated wattage category In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN5600, standing at just 103.6 lbs.
- This inverter generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 69 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU7000iS. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 13.5 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the 201066 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the DuroMax XP5500EH, with up to 19 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.32 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the DuroMax XP5500EH, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.21 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W inverter generators, the Champion 201066 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (123.2 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||301 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5,250 W|
|Starting watts||6,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||43.8/21.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||13.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Fuel tank||4.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.6 x 25.5 x 24.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Compliance||CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, dual port USB adapter, and wheel kit|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201066 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||4195 W||5295 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4190 W||4780 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3780 W||6480 W|
what make is the gasoline engine? (Asked October 19, 2022)
The engine is manufactured by Rato.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.