Zoom on the Champion 201054
In a nutshell, the Champion 201054 is a portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
Power & Run Time
The Champion 201054's engine, 224 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3650W and reaches a peak wattage of 4500W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
At a noise rating of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), this inverter generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). The 201054 can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (key fob included).
With a fuel capacity of 2.9 gallons, the 201054 may run for up to 17 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 201054 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
This Champion generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
With its dimensions of L23.9 x W23.5 x H20.9 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 201054 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
The 201054 can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 87 lbs. Furthermore, once placed on the floor, effortless displacement is possible thanks to its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle.
To help you monitor the 201054's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital Intelligauge data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours, frequency, power output and voltage.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 201054's package also includes these accessories: key fob, oil, tool kit, dual port USB adapter and funnel.
The Champion 201054 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 201054 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201054 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 201054 only weighs in at 87 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- Since the inverter generator's noise is rated at 64 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cummins Onan P4500i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- The 201054, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of up to 17 hours at a 25% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200954, which is able to run for up to 22 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.14 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 201054 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (87 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (64 dBA)
- Decent run time
The Champion 201054 doesn't have any notably low specs.
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3650 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30.4 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||17 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Fuel tank||2.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.9 x 23.5 x 20.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, dual port USB adapter, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201054 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2917 W||3917 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2915 W||3505 W|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.