Zoom on the Champion 201054
In summary, the Champion 201054 is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
Power & Run Time
The Champion 201054 is powered by a 224 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3650W as well as a peak wattage of 4500W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be increased when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). For additional convenience, the 201054 may also be remotely started (key fob included).
With a full tank, the 201054 can operate for up to 17 hours (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 2.9 gallons.
The 201054 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
This Champion generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Champion 201054 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23.9 x W23.5 x H20.9 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the 201054's weight is only 87 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Additionally, it can be easily moved with the help of its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, once it is on the ground.
Monitoring of the 201054's status and activity is made possible by a digital Intelligauge data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours, power output, frequency and voltage and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 201054 also comes with several accessories, including: dual port USB adapter, funnel, key fob, oil and tool kit.
The Champion 201054 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 201054 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201054 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Champion 201054 has only 87 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 64 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Cummins Onan P4500i. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Given that the 201054 reaches an autonomy of up to 17 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Champion 200914, with up to 22 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.14 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 201054 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (87 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (64 dBA)
- Decent run time
The Champion 201054 doesn't have any notably low specs.
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3650 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30.4 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||17 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 2.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.9 x 23.5 x 20.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, dual port USB adapter, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201054 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2912 W||3912 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2910 W||3500 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.