Zoom on the Champion 201047
In summary, the Champion 201047 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 201047 delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 1800W and a peak wattage of 2400W. When propane-powered, it has 1620 rated watts and 2400 peak watts. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a conversation at home). Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
As for its running time, the 201047, along with its 1.1 gallon fuel capacity, can run for up to 11 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 34 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.14 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 201047 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
As the Champion 201047 is an inverter generator, its encased design (L19.6 x W11.8 x H18.1 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
With a dry weight of 50.5 lbs, the 201047 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, shifting it is an easy task, as the 201047 features a nifty handle (molded in the case), improving your grip greatly.
The light indicators show you if its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is overloaded.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 201047 also comes with some accessories: propane hose, oil, dual port USB adapter, funnel and tool kit are included.
The Champion 201047 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 201047 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201047 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 50.5 lbs, the Champion 201047 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 1500 and 2500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Champion 200949, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 53 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- As the 201047 offers up to 11 hours run time on a full tank at a 25% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with up to 26 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Predator 2000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Champion 201047 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (50.5 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1800 W||1620 W|
|Starting watts||2400 W||2400 W|
|Running amps||15 amps||13.5 amps|
|Peak amps||20 amps||20 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11 h||34 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil and overload|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.6 x 11.8 x 18.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, and dual port USB adapter|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201047 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1387 W||2387 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1420 W||1420 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.