Zoom on the Champion 201047
In summary, the Champion 201047 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Champion 201047 provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 1800W along with a peak wattage of 2400W. While propane-powered, it provides 1620 rated watts and 2400 starting watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb). Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
The running time of the 201047, with its 1.1 gallon fuel capacity, can reach up to 11 hours on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH). With propane, it can reach up to 34 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.14 GPH).
The 201047 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
As the Champion 201047 is an inverter generator, its encased design (L19.6 x W11.8 x H18.1 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
The 50.5 lbs of the 201047's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Additionally, a conveniently placed handle (molded in the case) is a great enhancement to the grip, which tremendously helps when moving the 201047 across any distance.
The light indicators show you if the generator is on overload and its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 201047, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, oil, propane hose, funnel and dual port USB adapter.
The Champion 201047 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 201047 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201047 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a weight of 50.5 pounds, the Champion 201047 places in the expected weight range of the inverter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM2000i, weighing just 34.2 pounds.
- As this inverter generator can emit noise as low as 53 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 11 hours at 25% load, the 201047 benefits from a higher run time than many inverter generators of a similar output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the DuroMax XP2300iH, with up to 13 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the DuroMax XP2300iH, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W dual fuel inverter generators, the Champion 201047 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (50.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (53 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1800 W||1620 W|
|Starting watts||2400 W||2400 W|
|Running amps||15 amps||13.5 amps|
|Peak amps||20 amps||20 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11 h||34 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil and overload|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.6 x 11.8 x 18.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, and dual port USB adapter|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201047 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1387 W||2387 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.