Zoom on the Champion 201047
In a nutshell, the Champion 201047 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Champion 201047 allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 1,800W and a starting wattage of 2,400W. If propane-powered, it gives 1,620 rated watts and 2,400 starting watts. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
With a noise rating of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a refrigerator), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
As for its running time, the 201047, along with its 1.1 gallon fuel capacity, can run for up to 11 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 34 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.14 GPH).
The 201047 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
As the Champion 201047 is an inverter generator, its encased design (L19.6 x W11.8 x H18.1 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
As the 201047's weight is only 50.5 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Moreover, the convenient handle (molded in the case) greatly enhances the grip, making carrying the 201047 from A to B always an easy task.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is on overload and the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 201047's package also includes these accessories: oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose and dual port USB adapter.
The Champion 201047 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 201047 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201047 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 50.5 lbs, the Champion 201047 belongs in the expected weight range for inverter generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM2000i, weighing just 34.2 pounds.
- This inverter generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its type and power range, rated at 53 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- As the 201047 features an autonomy of up to 11 hours at 25% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its type and power range. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the DuroMax XP2300iH, boasting with up to 13 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the DuroMax XP2300iH, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
The bottom line
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (50.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (53 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,800 W||1,620 W|
|Starting watts||2,400 W||2,400 W|
|Running amps||15 amps||13.5 amps|
|Peak amps||20 amps||20 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11 h||34 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil and overload|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.6 x 11.8 x 18.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, and dual port USB adapter|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201047 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1387 W||2387 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.