Zoom on the Champion 201042
In a nutshell, the Champion 201042 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Champion 201042 provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 3550W along with a peak wattage of 4450W. While propane-powered, it provides 3200 rated watts and 4000 starting watts.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation).
Regarding its running time, the 201042, with a 4.7 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 14 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 10.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.45 GPH).
As the 201042 has a relatively high THD (<20%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
This Champion generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The dimensions of the Champion 201042, which are L24.8 x W24.8 x H22.4 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 112.4 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The 201042's control center features an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker). Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 201042 also comes with several accessories, including: oil, propane hose, funnel and cover.
The Champion 201042 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 201042 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201042 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As its weight is 112.4 pounds, the Champion 201042 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 68 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Cummins Onan P4500i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- The 201042 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching around 14 hours at 50% load. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Predator 4375, boasting with around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 201042 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Decent weight (112.4 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3550 W||3200 W|
|Starting watts||4450 W||4000 W|
|Running amps||29.6 amps||26.7 amps|
|Peak amps||37.1 amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.8 x 24.8 x 22.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose, cover, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201042 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2822 W||3822 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2835 W||3425 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.