ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 6
Zoom on the Champion 201042
In summary, the Champion 201042 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
In the following paragraphs, we shall explore the power characteristics, available outlets, portability, and any additional features of the device, along with its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 201042 delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3,550W and a peak wattage of 4,450W. When propane-powered, it has 3,200 rated watts and 4,000 peak watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons, the 201042 can operate for around 14 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH), or for around 10.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.45 GPH) using propane.
The 201042 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its high THD (<20%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The dimensions of the Champion 201042, which are L24.8 x W24.8 x H22.4 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 112.4 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The 201042 and its control panel include an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 201042 also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, propane hose, cover and oil.
The Champion 201042 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 201042 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201042 compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 112.4 lbs, the Champion 201042 belongs in the expected weight range for dual fuel generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN DF402iX, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 68 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar type and power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Westinghouse iGen4500DF. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As the 201042 features an autonomy of around 14 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its type and power range. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, reaching around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. As this generator uses an estimated 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.23 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel generators, the Champion 201042 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Decent weight (112.4 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,550 W||3,200 W|
|Starting watts||4,450 W||4,000 W|
|Running amps||29.6 amps||26.7 amps|
|Peak amps||37.1 amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.8 x 24.8 x 22.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose, cover, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201042 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2802 W||3802 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2815 W||3405 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Is it recommended for use above 3000' altitude? (Asked October 17, 2021)
To operate above 3000 ft, the carburetor will need to be rejetted. Jet part number is 16161-Z151610-00A8 between 3000 and 6000 ft, and 16161-Z151410-00A2 between 6000 and 8000 ft. These jets can be obtained by contacting Champion Power Equipment. We recommend also reading our article on generator operation in high altitudes.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.
Easy to start, Handel and wheells to pull, also came with necessary attachments to use propane, even came with the start up oil.