ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 43
Zoom on the Champion 201035
In a nutshell, the Champion 201035 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
In the following paragraphs, we shall explore the power characteristics, available outlets, portability, and any additional features of the device, along with its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 201035 delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 8,000W and a peak wattage of 10,000W. When propane-powered, it has 7,200 rated watts and 9,000 peak watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The 201035, with a fuel capacity of 7.7 gallons, reaches a run time of around 10 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.77 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH) with propane.
The 201035 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its high THD (<20%).
The control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this Champion unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet. In addition, as the 201035 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L28.7 x W28.5 x H25.8 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 201035 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 203 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The control panel of the 201035 includes an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 201035's package also includes these accessories: funnel, oil and propane hose.
The Champion 201035 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 201035 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201035 compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Champion 201035 weighs just 203 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 7500 to 8500 rated wattage dual fuel generators. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Cummins Onan P9500df, with a dry weight of only 194 lbs.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 74 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Genmax GM9000iED. With just 62 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As the 201035 offers around 10 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the dual fuel generators of a similar power. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Firman H07553, which is able to run for around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.77 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Pulsar PG10000B16. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.55 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W dual fuel generators, the Champion 201035 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (203 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (74 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||458 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8,000 W||7,200 W|
|Starting watts||10,000 W||9,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps||60/30 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps||75/37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.7 x 28.5 x 25.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201035 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6387 W||7862 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||6395 W||6985 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.
This unit is not ready to go from the store. Does not describe why there is no power from the unit after it is started in the manual or the control panel. Very frustrating and still having problems.
For the price great investment. Just if it could be a bit less noisy.
Powers up the RV both AC unites with no problem along with the other appliances.
my Generator is a valuable assets during ice storm light,refrigerator ,heat.
I had to get a generator after not having electricity for 2 days and being fed up. I don’t know anything about them but there are 4 people living here and I knew I needed something with some wattage. SO grabbed this one as the price was pretty good for how big and powerful it was. I thought for sure I was going to have to make a bunch of phone calls and get help getting up and running not being very mechanically inclined. I was up and going in seconds once I got it put together (which was much easier than expected) and filled it up with gas. It performed beautifully and man do I feel better about having one as we lose power here 3 to 5 times a year.
Bought this unit as an upgrade from a smaller unit that I use around the ranch. After this past winter 4 day freeze with no power or water I decided to get a bigger unit to power my whole house. This model has excellent power and it’s quick to start. I use propane so I don’t have to bleed the carburetor and so far so good. Champion makes a great product.