Zoom on the Champion 201033
In a nutshell, the Champion 201033 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 201033 houses a 389 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 6,000W along with a peak wattage of 7,500W.
At a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the 201033 can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.7 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 7.7 gallons.
Since the 201033 has a high THD (<20%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Because the 201033 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The Champion 201033 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L28.7 x W27.6 x H25 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Since the generator weighs 164 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
To help you monitor the 201033's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 201033, the following accessories are also included: funnel and oil.
The Champion 201033 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The unit also meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Champion 201033 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201033 compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Champion 201033 stands at only 164 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 5500-6500 rated wattage category In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Pulsar PGDA70BiSCO, standing at just 118 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 74 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- The 201033, offering a run time of around 11 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 6500, with around 14.5 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.7 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the A-iPower SUA7000L, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.36 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Champion 201033 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Lightweight for its kind (164 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No 50-amp output
- No electric start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|389 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|28.7 x 27.6 x 25 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018
|Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection, CO monitoring
|Bonded to frame
|Oil, funnel, and wheel kit
|Country of origin
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201033 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Electric fry pan
|Electric fence (25 miles)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.