Zoom on the Champion 201004
In a nutshell, the Champion 201004 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 201004 houses a 420 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 7500W along with a peak wattage of 9375W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner). To add further convenience, the 201004 can be remotely started (key fob included).
The fuel capacity of 5.7 gallons allows the 201004 to operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.71 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the 201004 is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 201004 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
With its dimensions of L29.9 x W26 x H25.2 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 201004 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 206.1 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The 201004's control center features an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 201004 also is packed along with the following accessories: oil, funnel and key fob.
The Champion 201004 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 201004 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201004 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 206.1 lbs, the Champion 201004 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 7000 and 8000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of only 133 lbs.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 74 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 65 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 8 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the 201004 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 9000, reaching around 13 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.71 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the A-iPower SUA8000iSF. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.52 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Champion 201004 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Remote start
- Decent weight (206.1 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W|
|Starting watts||9375 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||78.1/39.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 5.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.9 x 26 x 25.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, key fob, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201004 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5967 W||7442 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4800 W||9300 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.