Gas + Electric start
Gas + Remote start
Gas + Remote start + CO sensor
Dual fuel + Electric start
Zoom on the Champion 201004
In a nutshell, the Champion 201004 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
Power & Run Time
The Champion 201004 houses a 420 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 7,500W along with a peak wattage of 9,375W.
At a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). The 201004 can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (key fob included).
With a fuel capacity of 5.7 gallons, the 201004 may run for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.71 GPH).
The quite high THD (<20%) of the 201004 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this Champion unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet. In addition, as the 201004 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Champion 201004, which are L29.9 x W26 x H25.2 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 206.1 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the 201004's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 201004 also comes with some accessories: funnel, oil and key fob are included.
The Champion 201004 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 201004 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201004 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- At a weight of 206.1 pounds, the Champion 201004 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 7000-8000 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, weighing just 133 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 74 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Champion 100719, whose lowest noise levels reach just 61 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the 201004, reaching around 8 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 9000, which is able to run for around 13 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.71 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.55 GPH, the Pulsar PG10000B16 is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Champion 201004 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Remote start
- Decent weight (206.1 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7,500 W|
|Starting watts||9,375 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||78.1/39.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 5.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.9 x 26 x 25.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, key fob, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201004 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5967 W||7442 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4800 W||9300 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.