Zoom on the Champion 201003
In a nutshell, the Champion 201003 is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Champion 201003 provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 4000W along with a peak wattage of 5500W. While propane-powered, it provides 3600 rated watts and 5500 starting watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 61 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), this inverter generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
The running time of the 201003, with its 3.7 gallons fuel capacity, can reach up to 20 hours on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.19 GPH). With propane, it can reach up to 15 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.31 GPH). Thanks to the Fuel Fill Assist LED, an ingenious LED located near the fuel cap, filling up the unit’s tank is highly facilitated in poor lighting conditions. The LED can illuminate the gasoline filling area simply by pushing a button.
The 201003 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
This Champion generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
Since the Champion 201003 is an inverter generator, its closed design (L24.6 x W19 x H20.9 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 118 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its telecospic handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
One of the many 201003's features is the Intelligauge data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the power output, lifetime run hours and voltage and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status. To offer you even more control and easy operation during night time, the panel is LED-lit.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 201003, the following accessories are also included: oil, funnel, propane hose and dual port USB adapter. The official storage cover and storm cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Champion 201003 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 201003 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201003 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- At a weight of 118 pounds, the Champion 201003 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 61 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Cummins Onan P4500i with only 52 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 20 hours at 25% load, the 201003 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Champion 200914, with up to 22 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.19 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, this inverter generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.14 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 201003 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Illuminated control panel
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Fuel Fill Assist LED
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (61 dBA)
- High run time
- Decent weight (118 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||4000 W||3600 W|
|Starting watts||5500 W||5500 W|
|Running amps||33.3 amps||30 amps|
|Peak amps||45.8 amps||45.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||20 h||15 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.6 x 19 x 20.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||61 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose, dual port USB adapter, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201003 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||3187 W||4187 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3185 W||3605 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2780 W||5480 W|
Is it possible to add a wireless remote kit (Asked May 12, 2021)
Unfortunately, there are no official remote start kits for this unit.
Description says there is a fuel gage, review says not. Which is correct? (Asked May 30, 2021)
It must be a misunderstanding, since the description does not mention a fuel gauge.
Does this generator have a provision to shut off fuel to keep the carburetor dry when not in use? (Asked July 14, 2021)
The EZ start dial can be turned to the "gasoline valve OFF" position to let the generator run until there's no more fuel in the carburetor.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.