Zoom on the Champion 201003
In summary, the Champion 201003 is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 201003 delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 4000W and a peak wattage of 5500W. When propane-powered, it has 3600 rated watts and 5500 peak watts. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
With a noise rating of 61 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
The 201003, with a fuel capacity of 3.7 gallons, reaches a run time of up to 20 hours utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.19 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of up to 15 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.31 GPH) with propane. Thanks to the Fuel Fill Assist LED, an ingenious LED located near the fuel cap, filling up the unit’s tank is highly facilitated in poor lighting conditions. The LED can illuminate the gasoline filling area simply by pushing a button.
As the 201003 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
As the Champion 201003 is an inverter generator, its encased design (L24.6 x W19 x H20.9 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
As the generator's weight is 118 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its telecospic handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
A digital Intelligauge data center, one of the features of the 201003's control panel, gives you information on the voltage, power output and lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status. To offer you even more control and easy operation during night time, the panel is LED-lit.
In addition to this info, when the generator is on overload, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 201003 also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, oil, dual port USB adapter and propane hose. The official storage cover and storm cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Champion 201003 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 201003 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201003 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- With a dry weight of 118 pounds, the Champion 201003 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 61 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Cummins Onan P4500i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- The 201003 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching up to 20 hours at 25% load. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200954, as it provides up to 22 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.19 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.14 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 201003 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Illuminated control panel
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Fuel Fill Assist LED
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (61 dBA)
- High run time
- Decent weight (118 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||244 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||4000 W||3600 W|
|Starting watts||5500 W||5500 W|
|Running amps||33.3 amps||30 amps|
|Peak amps||45.8 amps||45.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||20 h||15 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.6 x 19 x 20.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||61 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose, dual port USB adapter, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201003 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||3187 W||4187 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3185 W||3605 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2780 W||5480 W|
Is it possible to add a wireless remote kit (Asked May 12, 2021)
Unfortunately, there are no official remote start kits for this unit.
Description says there is a fuel gage, review says not. Which is correct? (Asked May 30, 2021)
It must be a misunderstanding, since the description does not mention a fuel gauge.
Does this generator have a provision to shut off fuel to keep the carburetor dry when not in use? (Asked July 14, 2021)
The EZ start dial can be turned to the "gasoline valve OFF" position to let the generator run until there's no more fuel in the carburetor.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.