Zoom on the Champion 201001
In summary, the Champion 201001 is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 201001 houses a 224 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 4000W along with a peak wattage of 5500W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
At a noise rating of 61 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), this inverter generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). The 201001 can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (key fob included).
The fuel capacity of 3.7 gallons allows the 201001 to operate for up to 20 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.19 GPH). Thanks to the Fuel Fill Assist LED, an ingenious LED located near the fuel cap, filling up the unit’s tank is highly facilitated in poor lighting conditions. The LED can illuminate the gasoline filling area simply by pushing a button.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 201001 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 10A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
This Champion generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
Since the Champion 201001 is an inverter generator, its closed design (L24.6 x W19 x H20.9 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
As the generator's weight is 119 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its telecospic handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the 201001 includes a digital Intelligauge data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the voltage, lifetime run hours and power output. To offer you even more control and easy operation during night time, the panel is LED-lit.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is overloaded.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 201001 also comes with some accessories: key fob, oil, funnel and dual port USB adapter are included. The official storage cover and storm cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Champion 201001 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 201001 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201001 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 119 lbs, the Champion 201001 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 61 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cummins Onan P4500i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- As the 201001 features an autonomy of up to 20 hours at 25% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200954, as it provides up to 22 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.19 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, this inverter generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.14 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 201001 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Illuminated control panel
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Fuel Fill Assist LED
- Quiet for its power (61 dBA)
- High run time
- Decent weight (119 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||4000 W|
|Starting watts||5500 W|
|Running amps||33.3 amps|
|Peak amps||45.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||20 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 10A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.6 x 19 x 20.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||61 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, key fob, dual port USB adapter, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201001 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3192 W||4192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3190 W||3780 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2780 W||5480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.