Gas + Manual start
Gas + Remote start
Dual fuel + Electric start
Dual fuel + Electric start + CO sensor
Zoom on the Champion 201001
In summary, the Champion 201001 is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
Power & Run Time
The Champion 201001's core is the 224 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 4,000W and a peak wattage of 5,500W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
At a noise rating of 61 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), this inverter generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). To add further convenience, the 201001 can be remotely started (key fob included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 3.7 gallons, the 201001 can operate for up to 20 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.19 GPH). Thanks to the Fuel Fill Assist LED, an ingenious LED located near the fuel cap, filling up the unit’s tank is highly facilitated in poor lighting conditions. The LED can illuminate the gasoline filling area simply by pushing a button.
As the 201001 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The Champion 201001 is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L24.6 x W19 x H20.9 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 119 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its telecospic handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
A digital Intelligauge data center, one of the features of the 201001's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, voltage, frequency and power output, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status. To offer you even more control and easy operation during nighttime, the panel is LED-lit.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 201001 also comes with some accessories: oil, key fob, dual port USB adapter and funnel are included. The official storage cover and running cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Champion 201001 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 201001 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 201001 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 119 lbs, the Champion 201001 belongs in the expected weight range for inverter generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- Because this inverter generator emits noise as low as 61 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As the 201001 features an autonomy of up to 20 hours at 25% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its type and power range. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman W03661OF, as it provides up to 25 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. Standing at an estimated 0.19 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, this inverter generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Champion 200988, with a fuel consumption of 0.16 GPH could be in your good books.
The bottom line
- Illuminated control panel
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Fuel Fill Assist LED
- High run time
- Decent weight (119 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (61 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||4,000 W|
|Starting watts||5,500 W|
|Running amps||33.3 amps|
|Peak amps||45.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||20 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Fuel tank||3.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.6 x 19 x 20.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||61 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, key fob, dual port USB adapter, and battery|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 201001 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||3187 W||4187 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3185 W||3605 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2780 W||5480 W|
Where is the fuel gauge? (Asked April 16, 2023)
The unit does not feature a fuel gauge.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.