Zoom on the Champion 200994
In summary, the Champion 200994 is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 200994 delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3650W and a peak wattage of 4650W. When propane-powered, it has 3285 rated watts and 4650 peak watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
At a noise rating of 61 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), this inverter generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
With a fuel capacity of 2.3 gallons, the 200994 can operate for up to 14 hours using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH), or for up to 21 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.22 GPH) using propane.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 200994 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The Champion 200994's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L23.2 x W17.7 x H20.1 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
As the generator's weight is 103 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its set of 2 wheels (⌀5") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
A digital Intelligauge data center, one of the features of the 200994's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, voltage and power output, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and its oil levels are insufficient.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 200994 also comes with several accessories, including: oil, dual port USB adapter, tool kit, propane hose and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Champion 200994 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 200994 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200994 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- At a weight of 103 pounds, the Champion 200994 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 61 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Cummins Onan P4500i. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 14 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the 200994 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200954, as it provides up to 22 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.16 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.14 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 200994 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (61 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (103 lbs)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3650 W||3285 W|
|Starting watts||4650 W||4650 W|
|Running amps||30.4 amps||27.4 amps|
|Peak amps||38.8 amps||38.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||14 h||21 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 2.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 17.7 x 20.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||61 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, dual port USB adapter, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200994 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2917 W||3917 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2915 W||3505 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||1880 W||4580 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.