Zoom on the Champion 200994
In summary, the Champion 200994 is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Champion 200994 allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 3650W and a starting wattage of 4650W. If propane-powered, it gives 3285 rated watts and 4650 starting watts. In addition, as it is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
At a noise rating of 61 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), this inverter generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
The running time of the 200994, with its 2.3 gallons fuel capacity, can reach up to 14 hours on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH). With propane, it can reach up to 21 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.22 GPH).
As the 200994 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The Champion 200994 is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L23.2 x W17.7 x H20.1 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 103 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its set of 2 wheels (⌀5") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the 200994 includes a digital Intelligauge data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the power output, voltage and lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 200994, the following accessories are also included: propane hose, tool kit, oil, dual port USB adapter and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Champion 200994 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 200994 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200994 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- At a weight of 103 pounds, the Champion 200994 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 61 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Cummins Onan P4500i. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 14 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the 200994 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200954, as it provides up to 22 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.16 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.14 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 200994 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (61 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (103 lbs)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3650 W||3285 W|
|Starting watts||4650 W||4650 W|
|Running amps||30.4 amps||27.4 amps|
|Peak amps||38.8 amps||38.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||14 h||21 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 2.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 17.7 x 20.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||61 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, dual port USB adapter, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200994 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2912 W||3912 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2910 W||3500 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||1880 W||4580 W|
Other than a small wattage difference, what is the difference between this model and the Champion 4500 model 200988? (Asked September 05, 2021)
None other than wattage. You may read the full spec comparison here.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.